Glow Plug question...

CSIPSD

Reaction score
So I had an issue a few months ago, the fuseable link that is by the starter solenoid fried. Thought it was a Alt, but eventually found that. Posted it on Facebook, but not here...

Anyway, that wire goes from the ALT, to the GPR, to the starter solenoid. To get me by I ran a new battery cable from the output of the ALT to the drivers side battery. Yay me, back up and running. Didnt need glow plugs in PHX so no worries.

Fast forward to Denver in the winter... So I run a 8G wire from the starter solenoid to the input of the GPR. Glow plugs for days right?

Wrong. Old girl will not start if not plugged in (within reason).

Worked fine before the wire issue, GPR is working fine... Can leaving the GP disconnected for 8k cause them all to quit for some reason?

Ordering GP's shortly, but trying to figure out why they would all just stop like that. GP's do have about 200-220k on them so, maybe it was just there time.

ToMang07

Reaction score
I'd defiantly start with GPs....how do you know the GPR is working tho Joe? Did you jump the terminals then start it?

Jomax

Reaction score
So I had an issue a few months ago, the fuseable link that is by the starter solenoid fried. Thought it was a Alt, but eventually found that. Posted it on Facebook, but not here...

Anyway, that wire goes from the ALT, to the GPR, to the starter solenoid. To get me by I ran a new battery cable from the output of the ALT to the drivers side battery. Yay me, back up and running. Didnt need glow plugs in PHX so no worries.

Fast forward to Denver in the winter... So I run a 8G wire from the starter solenoid to the input of the GPR. Glow plugs for days right?

Wrong. Old girl will not start if not plugged in (within reason).

Worked fine before the wire issue, GPR is working fine... Can leaving the GP disconnected for 8k cause them all to quit for some reason?

Ordering GP's shortly, but trying to figure out why they would all just stop like that. GP's do have about 200-220k on them so, maybe it was just there time.

Did you ohm out the glow plugs? Never did find a harness for you. Sorry about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BS Hauler

Reaction score
I always thought that the glow plugs cycle on to clean themselves. Even though you think that you didn't need them to get it started and it didn't need them to start. I 60 or 70 degree weather they would come on to burn the soot off of them. I would start by changing them and see if that works or pull one out and check it.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I always thought that the glow plugs cycle on to clean themselves. Even though you think that you didn't need them to get it started and it didn't need them to start. I 60 or 70 degree weather they would come on to burn the soot off of them. I would start by changing them and see if that works or pull one out and check it.

The PCM always commands them to come on, the time could be a second, or 10 or 90...

The issue is I completely disconnected the relay.

I just find it hard to believe that not having them turn on for a month to 6 weeks would cause them to stop working?

None the less I will replace them all when I get home next week.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.