Going to look at a used 6.7, what should I look for?

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I'm used to the 7.3 world and have no experience with these newer trucks. I am a little overwhelmed to be honest.

I'm going to look at two trucks with 90k & 107k miles on them tomorrow. When spending $30K+ on a truck I'd hate to find myself with another lemon.
What should I look for to ensure I get the best deal?

Both trucks were purchased at auctions and have limited documented history. Basically nothing on the Oasis reports and little to nothing on the CarFax.

Thanks guys!

Deputydog

Reaction score
What years you considering? I was also coming from a 7.3 and just purchased a 6.7 a few days ago.

What I learned was to avoid 2011's, 2012 thru 2014 were decent but have turbo problems. 2015 and up were updated with a generation 2 6.7 to include a different, more reliable turbo.

I found a 2013 I really like, but ended up getting a great deal on a 17k mile 2015 with tons of aftermarket goodies.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
when you say another lemon which truck was that ?

i assume if you're budget is in the 30k range it's gonna be 11-12 .

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
when you say another lemon which truck was that ?

i assume if you're budget is in the 30k range it's gonna be 11-12 .

The "other lemon" was my 1997 7.3. At the surface it was a great truck. The seller sold me a truck with bad rings and low compression. He threw in some thick 50W oil to conceal the problem. When I got home and cold started the truck, I found the issue. I proceeded to tear down the motor a few months later and do a rebuild. Which turned into a performance build. Which had more problems than I care to admit.. :fustrate: Now I am parting the 'ole girl out.

As far as years go, you are very correct. I couldn't find any 2013+ trucks in my price range with lower miles.

I looked at 3 or 4 other trucks prior to this purchase. Most trucks I looked at in the $29-33k price range were rode hard and put away wet. I drove 160 miles to illinois yesterday to look at a different 6.7. It only had 91k on the clock but had the worst death wobble I have ever experienced. Every brake & suspension component in the front end was trashed.

I just picked up this 2011 F250 Lariat 6.7, with 99,000 miles for $33k. This truck was maintained by the same dealer for 80% of its life and had most of the service records to back it up. I thought it was my best bet.
N3AketUh.jpg

superduty4x4

Reaction score
What years you considering? I was also coming from a 7.3 and just purchased a 6.7 a few days ago.

What I learned was to avoid 2011's, 2012 thru 2014 were decent but have turbo problems. 2015 and up were updated with a generation 2 6.7 to include a different, more reliable turbo.

I found a 2013 I really like, but ended up getting a great deal on a 17k mile 2015 with tons of aftermarket goodies.
I no longer like you sir.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

12 to 14s didn't have turbo problems. the problems where from the owners tuning them and over spinning the *** out of them.. as long as they are gated like stock and not boosting the chit out of them past the stock limits then they hold up fine..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

TyCorr

Reaction score
12 to 14s didn't have turbo problems. the problems where from the owners tuning them and over spinning the *** out of them.. as long as they are gated like stock and not boosting the chit out of them past the stock limits then they hold up fine..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

LOL LOL

I was waiting for that.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.