Good idea... Or waste of money?

Monster12valve

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new here but not to diesel. I'm about to get my truck studded, oringed and egr deleted. My question is, I was thinking about putting RCD valve springs, RCD pushrods and an RCD cam in while the heads are off. Is that a waste considering I won't be adding injectors and turbo until spring or summer?

ghohouston

Reaction score
^agreed. If you have plans to go bigger, if you even THINK you will, then do it. As far as the pusbrods though, id leave the stockers. The stock ones work kind of like a fuse in an electrical system. If everything is working fine, nothing breaks, if something goes wrong, the pushrod bends, but all your other engine parts will be fine, just like a fuse blows in an electrical system, to save the components

ghohouston

Reaction score
i want to say elite makes cams too. but not positive. theres not too many companies making them. cant comment on if one is better than the other though

HOOV3R

Reaction score
^agreed. If you have plans to go bigger, if you even THINK you will, then do it. As far as the pusbrods though, id leave the stockers. The stock ones work kind of like a fuse in an electrical system. If everything is working fine, nothing breaks, if something goes wrong, the pushrod bends, but all your other engine parts will be fine, just like a fuse blows in an electrical system, to save the components

DO NOT RUN STOCK PUSHRODS WITH AFTERMARKET VALVE SPRINGS. If you are putting in RCD valve springs, do the pushrods too.

HOOV3R

Reaction score
With the extra seat pressure from the valve springs, you will more than likely bend a stock pushrod.

Redneck6.0L

Reaction score
Doing valve work is one thing, but putting a cam in is way more involved and the cost of your labour bill went up huge for install

Monster12valve

Reaction score
Yea I know the labor will be more, but it will be cheaper to do it now with the heads coming off already, then down the road when the truck is all together, at least thats how I see it

windrunner408

Reaction score
For all that's involved with a cam swap, I really don't think I would do it (again JMO here) unless I was rebuilding the whole motor. You pretty much have to tear it down that far to swap the cam so you might as well (if that's your mantra)...

Monster12valve

Reaction score
Would the cam help spool a large single faster? I know from all my cummins trucks, a larger cam was night and day when spooling a big single, does an aftermarket cam effect the 6.0 the same way?

silverbullet4x4

Reaction score
Would the cam help spool a large single faster? I know from all my cummins trucks, a larger cam was night and day when spooling a big single, does an aftermarket cam effect the 6.0 the same way?

From what I have been told that depends on weather you are staying large vgt or going non vgt.

Latest posts

Members online