Got engine pulled. Broken oil coolers

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Went smoothly. Didn't damage oil pan getting it off. But 3 jets were in the oil pan. Along with the freeze plug that I dropped also.

I talked to Swamps, it is possible that the connecting rods may bump them. Wasn't aware of that. Was about 1000 or 2 miles that way. Was advised to check the bearings and wrist pins.

Nothing catastrophic, just a mess.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Couple pics

What's left on one broken spout
image_zpsj5qwskb3.jpg

The broken spouts
image_zpsobr3wann.jpg

Something is hitting them

image_zpsyfkv3snv.jpg

Magnum PD

Reaction score
This is one piece I found. It's magnetic, so not apart of the piston or front cover. Must be apart of the oil spout

image_zpsq3seevno.jpg

Reaction score
Man that sucks!! Sorry to hear your having so much trouble! Must be something about 7.3's in our area that don't being built. Mine is still not right either. It's been in Tennessee for months! Swamps is probably right that the rods are hitting them. I'm running the same rods as you and I remember Jonathan saying something had to be modified so the rods didn't hit the oilers.

psduser1

Reaction score
Went smoothly. Didn't damage oil pan getting it off. But 3 jets were in the oil pan. Along with the freeze plug that I dropped also.

I talked to Swamps, it is possible that the connecting rods may bump them. Wasn't aware of that. Was about 1000 or 2 miles that way. Was advised to check the bearings and wrist pins.

That sounds like a mess. How did swamps recommend fixing the clearance issue?

Magnum PD

Reaction score
The chipped piston still has me worried.

I'll take glowplug out, put on engine stand, and do compression test and and inspect oilers. Really don't want to take girdle out and inspect bearings.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I didn't do a side by side comparison. Was told the Hypermax rods are beefier.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Take it to the shop that assemblied it and let them inspect it I guess.

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score

Why is this a big deal? I'd assume the jets are soft metal and didn't fragment when hit by the connecting rods? The rods themselves are forged, that should be no different than hitting a nail with a hammer. You don't worry about damaging the hammer when that happens. Maybe I'm out to lunch, but the only thing I'd be worried about is where that chunk of piston went. Are there dents in the bottom of your pan from con rod to jet contact? Again, if not it's a moot point. Just my opinion fwiw.

psduser1

Reaction score
Why is this a big deal? I'd assume the jets are soft metal and didn't fragment when hit by the connecting rods? The rods themselves are forged, that should be no different than hitting a nail with a hammer. You don't worry about damaging the hammer when that happens. Maybe I'm out to lunch, but the only thing I'd be worried about is where that chunk of piston went. Are there dents in the bottom of your pan from con rod to jet contact? Again, if not it's a moot point. Just my opinion fwiw.

Pretty much. While the engine is on its head, you might pull the caps and inspect the bearings. Itll be immediately obvious if any material went through them.
Sounds like you paid a shop to assemble this? They should have rolled the engine, before they put the pan on. I'd have them fix it, including a piston, if required.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.