Got some questions (long post)

mudslinger02

Reaction score
So I've been having problems with my truck for the last few months and I cant seem to figure out the cause of the problem. I figured I'd start a new post to ask a bunch of questions and see what anyone has to say.

To start, truck has 119,xxx miles, the problems Ive been having is my truck will shudder going down the road from around 45-55mph and will sometimes idle rough. To date Ive replaced 2 injectors (both came up bad using AE), checked fuel pressure (+/-70psi), new ICP sensor, new UVCH on both sides and some other things Im sure Im forgetting.

New issues Ive noticed, slight knock/tick coming from the driver side, higher then usual egt's and white'ish smoke on hard acceleration. I have AE and have scanned the truck several times and nothing comes up bad.

What could cause these problems?
I have more questions but Ill stop here for now since this is getting a little long.
Thanks guys!!

02BigD

Reaction score
Have you done a buzz test? What are higher than usual EGT's? Is the pyro probe on the same exhaust manifold as the knocking?

mudslinger02

Reaction score
Which injectors where they?
Stock replacement injectors, first 1 was from the dealer, then I got smart and got the 2nd from Beans Diesel Performance. Both are still under warranty.
Have you done a buzz test? What are higher than usual EGT's? Is the pyro probe on the same exhaust manifold as the knocking?
I have run multiple buzz tests along with every other test I can on AE and everything always passes with no codes other then for AIH which has been deleted. Egt's vary, 100-200 deg higher then I was seeing before. Now, getting on the highway it will run up to 1100 in a quick hurry and be study around 750-800 going 70mph where I used to see 600-650 before. The knocking is on the same side as the pyro probe. Probe is in driver side manifold

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Pull the valve cover off and take a peak. What's the oil look like? The coolant? I also wouldn't be afraid to run a contribution test.

mudslinger02

Reaction score
I plan on pulling the cover on the driver side in the next few days to unplug injectors to see if the ticking goes away with a certain cylinder. Oil is good, black but good roughly 2,000 miles on it, coolant is full and not contaminated with fuel or oil. Also fuel filter has around 7,000 miles on it. I plan on changing that soon.

mudslinger02

Reaction score
Injector orings possibly?

I replaced the o-rings on all the driver side injectors and it made no difference.

I just got playing around with the truck, pulled driver side valve cover, fired it up and started unplugging the injectors. But of course the knock/tick isnt there all the time and it wasn't doing it when I tore into it.
I did notice when I was driving today, it is down on power and no matter how hard I kick it down it will not smoke besides a little white haze. Not that I want to be running around smoking out every intersection but before I was having problems with it, I could look at the pedal wrong and it would smoke (which I didn't like).

One more question, with stock injectors and #8 being the AE code, what numbers should I be seeing for rotational velocity on all the cylinders? Or what is acceptable ?

mudslinger02

Reaction score
I have another question, how much is a stock hpop and stock injectors worth? All used but in good condition

mudslinger02

Reaction score
Well I'm going to check fuel pressure again in the next day or 2 and if that looks good I think I'm gunna try to come up with the money to replace all the injectors unless anyone else has anymore input. This damn truck is driving me nuts!!

Latest posts

Members online