GP'S all 8 bad?

dasboot

Reaction score
How possible can all 8 glow plugs be bad? I've ohmed them at harness plugs and get no readings. Good 12vdc to and from GPCM. New GPCM. I ohmed them as read in other threads with two different meters

dasboot

Reaction score
Im measuring from plug at valve covers both sides. So that would be two harnesses. I am getting 12+ VDC from GPCM to other end of plugs.

dasboot

Reaction score
Either all gp's are bad or i'm not ohming right. I will have to get a coworker with his fluke and ohm. I might be pulling them next. Weekend for bench test. Hard to believe all 8 bad.

dasboot

Reaction score
Yes. I been having a long crank issue. Scanner showed all the gp and gpcm. I replaced the gpcm. Cleared scanner codes and still showing the gps. If i plug truck in block heater she will start on a dime when warm. Engine oil and coolant temps below 60deg she will take 6 or more key turns to fire off when she does she fires of quick. No perfornance issues. No smoking except the big puff. When she fires off from long crank. No smoke good starts. White smoke.

JLDickmon

Reaction score
I changed them all in my 7.3 today thinking I had several bad ones.. every one of them checked less than 1 ohm.. most were .7 ohms...

I changed them because it wouldn't start last night when I went to leave work, and even used the jump pack to the glow plug side of the relay.. nuthin'..

ended up having to ether it to life..

dasboot

Reaction score
I changed them all in my 7.3 today thinking I had several bad ones.. every one of them checked less than 1 ohm.. most were .7 ohms...

I changed them because it wouldn't start last night when I went to leave work, and even used the jump pack to the glow plug side of the relay.. nuthin'..

ended up having to ether it to life..
Sounds like another issue?????

Stroker04

Reaction score
I'm going to take a wild guess and say something went haywire in your harness. Pull a glowplug and Ohm one out and report back.

dieseljosh07

Reaction score
Should just pop off with a flathead screw driver.

They very rarely pop off easy. Spray them with some PB blaster Around each plug and wiggle it around to help loosen it. The best tool to use is a door panel trim tool that fits around the sides of the harness plugs. Theres a tool made just for glow plug harnesses from OTC that fits around the plugs with a hook on the end to pry them out. Remove the passenger side fender liner to access the rear plugs.

Stroker04

Reaction score
They very rarely pop off easy. Spray them with some PB blaster Around each plug and wiggle it around to help loosen it. The best tool to use is a door panel trim tool that fits around the sides of the harness plugs. Theres a tool made just for glow plug harnesses from OTC that fits around the plugs with a hook on the end to pry them out. Remove the passenger side fender liner to access the rear plugs.

Really? Mine came right off..guess I just got lucky then.

Latest posts

Members online