Green truck is sick.....HPO problems

taterthedog

Reaction score
My old green 7.3 is acting up again. Just pulled it out of the snow bank last week and been using it a bit. It was parked last fall when it started to refuse to stay running on a cold start. It would start fine and then after a few minutes ICP would dwindle down and it would stall. After waiting a few minutes it would start up again and repeat. After it warmed up enough it would stay running and run normally. I can to the conclusion that the 15w40 was too thick in the below freezing temps and was taking along time to get back to the hpop. Base oil pressure stayed good. Today coming up from the cabin, it started to loose ICP pressure under load and lack power. It was acting similar before and I replaced the IPR and it was better.

taterthedog

Reaction score
Our water still freezes at the same temp as yours. Lol. Haven't checked codes yet. Just got home. Can't remember if I checked them last fall.

taterthedog

Reaction score
i know but your cold is ***ing cold down here! lol

live life full throttle

I knew what you meant. Lol Not cold at all here today. Right around 32F. I wouldn't think it would be too cold for 15w40. It's Rotella oil. First time I used it .

taterthedog

Reaction score
Sounds like ipr issue to me

Too me it, some of it seems like an IPR issue. Other stuff not so much. The IPR is not very old. I changed it because j suspected it was sticking. At the same time I did a compression test, changed injector o-rings and changed the oil.

taterthedog

Reaction score
Another thing that seems to say IPR is the fact that in neutral it will bury the needle on the tach. I was going to see how it held ICP at WOT, which I was expecting to be 3400. So I put my foot to the floor and it went way past 4000. Was not expecting that, but I don't know if that is due to the chip or not. It has a Beans 6 pos, that stays in the hot setting.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
ewww, i wouldnt run rotella in anything i owned even if free... change it to chevron delo or Valvoline premium blue. ive had better luck with delo then everything but amsoil that ive tried in the winter.

live life full throttle

taterthedog

Reaction score
I only bought the Rotella because the Ford dealer had to order in the 15w40, and I needed the space in the garage.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Based on your won't run 'til warm deal... I'd say you have a bum injector stealing all your HPO...

But you said it did it even after it warmed up so...

Dunno.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
im 4 trucks for 4 trucks on it running like dog chit after 1000 miles.. many others say the same. all 7.3s.. only thing it may have going for it is its anti foaming agent.

live life full throttle

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
I can hear a difference in idle quality in both 7.3's after about 1000 miles on rotela.

I used to change religiously at 3k, I'm experimenting with Schaeffer now, so we'll see.

Definately makes a difference at 1000-2000 over the rotela.

Latest posts

Members online