Green truck is sick.....HPO problems

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
next time keep an eye out.. it may blend in with the blue Walmart jugs. its possible they dont have it. but every single Walmart ive been to in the lower 48 carries it? what are the odds of a tractor supply being up there? any chain parts stores close?

live life full throttle

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
5-40 T6 has never given me a problem to -40F.. I have even started it @ -20F without being plugged in.. Started first try. I would not blame the problem on the oil... I have never even had trouble @ -40F with the plain Jane 15-40 Rotela. The 5-40 was nicer in the cold temps though..

With that being said i would look into the IPR valve or the ICP sensor.. My pickup did the same thing and it turned out to be the ICP sensor...

taterthedog

Reaction score
We've got a Napa. They don't have a big selection either. There's a Canadian Tire now, I should check to see what they have. In any case, next time I won't be so rushed and I'll get the oil ahead of time. The ICP and IPR are both less than a year old. Are they both the same on OBS trucks? I got an OBS engine sitting there on a stand.

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
I don't like Delo....it runs ok, but is low detergent....I'm an old Cummins truck engine mechanic, (amoung other things), and every engine I tore down that had Delo in it for any length of time was scummy black inside.....we started using either Mibile Delvac, or Union Gauardol because of it, and the engines remained clean inside....

that being said, according to the Guy on The Diesel Register article I read here a while back, Valvoline Premium Blue is the best dino oil available....NAPA blue is the same and so is Cummins Blue...all same-same....

soooo...I changedd to it about a year ago, and it's much better...the viscosity seems to last longer and the engine just runs smoother, and after 50 years playing with all kinds of engines, and different oils, I would have never believed it unless I did it...

Latest posts

Members online