H&S Question

jdgleason

Reaction score
you should dyno trucks... i would be willing to bet that h&s is in 75% or more 08+ any brand truck other than gm

As for duramax and dodge, and 6.7 ford I would agree completely...

I'm only talking 6.4. And of the trucks with h&s tuners, I'm excluding ones with mcc/custom tunes.

I'm saying that h&s trans tuning seems to kill 5r's in my experience.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
As for duramax and dodge, and 6.7 ford I would agree completely...

I'm only talking 6.4. And of the trucks with h&s tuners, I'm excluding ones with mcc/custom tunes.

I'm saying that h&s trans tuning seems to kill 5r's in my experience.

ever since i started helping with hallers dyno, i started noticing almost everyone uses h&s, a few sct and only a handful of spartan.

H&s is a little on the soft side, but nothing i find to be destructive honestly. Under wot its firm enough, now if the trans was already hurt or whatever then no matter what its going to hurt it. Stock trans can only take being slipped a couple times before its over

Mpoage

Reaction score
I ran Innovative tunes on my 6.4 and it was tuned right at 60k miles and the transmission only lasted 10k miles after that. I also know of two other trucks that were running innovative tunes and all three, including mine had smoked direct clutches within 5-20k miles. I really don't think it matters what trans tuning you are running when you are running this much power through a stock transmission things are gonna have to give. I know some people have had good luck with the stock transmission but I don't think you can expect it to last forever.

Last edited:

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
ever since i started helping with hallers dyno, i started noticing almost everyone uses h&s, a few sct and only a handful of spartan.

H&s is a little on the soft side, but nothing i find to be destructive honestly. Under wot its firm enough, now if the trans was already hurt or whatever then no matter what its going to hurt it. Stock trans can only take being slipped a couple times before its over

the 6.4 trucks I come across first-hand, it's gotta be 10:1 H&S : others

same with 6.7 Ford and Dodge for that matter...

H&S is easy to use and it works on all three (and works pretty darn well) so it's an easy sell for shop owners who only have to purchase one part number to cover all three makes over multiple generations of each.

For somebody who works at a boutique shop like Elite that specializes in parts for trucks that are beyond the basic novice-level end user trucks, you're obviously going to see a different percentage of custom tuned SCT vs. canned H&S users

my .02

Dzchey21

Reaction score
the 6.4 trucks I come across first-hand, it's gotta be 10:1 H&S : others

same with 6.7 Ford and Dodge for that matter...

H&S is easy to use and it works on all three (and works pretty darn well) so it's an easy sell for shop owners who only have to purchase one part number to cover all three makes over multiple generations of each.

For somebody who works at a boutique shop like Elite that specializes in parts for trucks that are beyond the basic novice-level end user trucks, you're obviously going to see a different percentage of custom tuned SCT vs. canned H&S users

my .02

spot on

jdgleason

Reaction score
I agree that h&s works very well... I want a minimaxx bad lol.

I Wouldn't necessarily agree that elite caters to a different crowd of people though... They're just fairly well known for transmissions I think. Most people going to a built trans are taking one of the first steps in hard parts (at least from my interactions with customers there).

For a while, I had a list going... And h&s tuning was ahead of the others by miles.

Maybe it was user error with selectable shift schedules and not using the applicable ones with running an all out tune... Who knows.

bigaF250

Reaction score
I've run both Innovative tuning on a 6.4 and now the H&S tuning on this 6.4, and can honestly say there is night and day difference. I don't race this truck around like my other truck as this one is almost always hooked onto a trailer or something in the bed. I did pull with the other truck a few times as well though and will say hands down that Innovative trans tuning to H&S is almost uncompairable. I put almost 60k miles on the stocker in the old truck with no problems and not being nice to it. But after hearing the other little horror stories and going on a gut feeling I think MCC and Gearhead will just get the call. Thanks again everybody for the input. Dustin and JD hopefully on one of these trips over to your side of the mountain we can meet up. I'd like to check your guy's truck setups out.

sootie

Reaction score
I agree that h&s works very well... I want a minimaxx bad lol.

I Wouldn't necessarily agree that elite caters to a different crowd of people though... They're just fairly well known for transmissions I think. Most people going to a built trans are taking one of the first steps in hard parts (at least from my interactions with customers there).

For a while, I had a list going... And h&s tuning was ahead of the others by miles.

Maybe it was user error with selectable shift schedules and not using the applicable ones with running an all out tune... Who knows.

very valid point. for example-i smoked a trans running the sched 2 trans files on hot. trans temps were higher and it slipped easy. Using sched 1 files, the trans was way happier and i never had another issue. (this was years ago and i hadnt even heard of custom tunes)

but really-pretty much every 6.4 that is tuned around me is H&S. a small spattering of Spartan and SCT

StrokiNDieseL

Reaction score
I'm also feeling this jerky thing when opening her up. I can't tell if its during Tc lockup or 5th gear but this is with running gearhead tunes. I just switched 3 weeks ago, 2k on trans using reg schd as suggested & now trying hyb but seems to be the same. I didn't seem to notice this running H&S tunes... I've read trac bars are going to smooth out some of that & those are next on the list, so I'm interested to see if that's the case.

Latest posts

Members online