Had a thought, regarding IPR

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
Most guys run the IPR dump into the timing cover. One way is to drill a hole in the proper location, on the SD reservoir lid. Some use the fancy HPOP gear cover, with the fitting already available(DP Tuner sells those, among others).

The oil fill tube/neck is only used for the rear pump emergency blow off valve.

The obs has a casting port, very similar to the spot on the SD reservoir lid. That's where I currently have my IPR oil return.

Mr.BigOil

Reaction score
That tiny freeze plug, right? That would be the factory IPR dump path. Should be set.

TARM

Reaction score
Honestly I never paid attention to mine when I had it but I am going back to duals again so I will check.

Joey, I am giving your setup a try this time.

2000wa250

Reaction score
Experienced above issues, intermittent high DC, intermittent rough running, and overall truck acting like it had super airated oil etc. Put a known good IPR (although high mileage) in and problems got better but did not completely disappear. Bought a brand new unit from riffraff and all problems disappeared. No other changes.

Point being, don't underestimate a worn or tired IPR. Especially when running dual pumps.

TARM

Reaction score
Say Injectors are replaced and the problem still persists, where would I look next?
What other possibilities are there?

I would replace the IPR with a brand new one. While I can see using a old one you have on hand just to see, once you think you have an IPR issue the only sure fire way I know is to replace it. I do not trust rebuild kits as I have seen them fail where a new one fixes it.

When you say injectors replaced to you mean with new rebuilt ones different than the ones that you ran that were tested? or where new bodies put on them etc?

If that is the case have you run them for 25-50 miles to get all the air out? If so do any cyl come up with your run a CCT once the engine is warmed up? Just wondering.

Post up a data log of what the what is going on during idle put a link to the actual AE log file so those of us with AE can see it. ICP, IPR DC%, RPM see how much fluctuation you are getting.

You mention the IPR return making noise. Is a constant steady noise or only that varies and or pulsates?

m j

Reaction score
are you seeing icp pressure rise when it surges? ipr duty cycle changing when it surges?
if the values are not changing then you are barking up the wrong tree

my 350/200's idle nasty.
a co worker said he never heard a diesel idle sound like it wanted to do a burnout. not exactly sure what that means but it does sound pissed off at idle

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
my 350/200's idle nasty.
a co worker said he never heard a diesel idle sound like it wanted to do a burnout. not exactly sure what that means but it does sound pissed off at idle

See this many times. Can be either injectors or tuning or a combination of both. Fixed many of these sets.

Latest posts

Members online