Hanging Shift

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
Whenever I use moderate throttle and run up through the gears, it seems to hang on the 3-5 shift. Basically if I use hard accel up to about 60mph and let off, it seems to get stuck between the shift and it will hang there. When I press on the throttle, it will free rev for a sec then it'll finally shift into direct. Does NOT do it under normal accel or WOT...just moderate throttle. First thought would be sticking solenoids. I know the shift sequence into direct has to activate the two solenoids on either side of the direct drive solenoid (which is pretty new) so should I replace those? Trans is freshly built but has original solenoids except for direct. not pulling any codes BTW...

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
Mine does this every now and then. But At like 1/4 throttle putt putting. I think it's tune related as certain tunes do it more than others. My race tune is worse I think.

Maybe pressure is pulled back to far at part throttle or that type of tune?

jdc753

Reaction score
mine will do that too, I just always considered it that the computer was getting confused by my usual lazy/mild driving vs WOT driving and didn't understand the intermediate 1/2-3/4 throttle position.

TooMuch03

Reaction score
I have experienced the same thing before, but not all the time, and some tunes are better or worse than others. I am interested to see what the experts have to say.

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
i would hope it's not the direct solenoid since it's practically new. in talking with the builder, he thinks that the solenoid from the previous shift is hanging and not allowing the DD to fire properly. the shift from 3-5 actually requires the intermediate and some other solenoid to fire/release before the direct fires is basically what I gathered.

thoughts on that?

MINK

Reaction score
i would hope it's not the direct solenoid since it's practically new. in talking with the builder, he thinks that the solenoid from the previous shift is hanging and not allowing the DD to fire properly. the shift from 3-5 actually requires the intermediate and some other solenoid to fire/release before the direct fires is basically what I gathered.

thoughts on that?

solenoids are a double edge sword...I've gotten brand new ones that were bad. Moral of the story, keep your originals even if you try new just in case. IMO sounds like a tuning deal to me.

bkingsoda

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing. Are you using innovative? My race does this and street doesn't. Makes me think it has to do with the lockup settings in the race tune.

bkingsoda

Reaction score
Let us know what he says. That will give me an idea what to say when I call Eric.

MisterCMK

Reaction score
My 07 had the occasional hanging 3-5 shift both stock and with Gearhead tunes. I ended up putting a GoGo solenoid in and I haven't had a hanging shift since.

Gearhead

Reaction score
You need to scan it to see if it is commanding it to shift in that spot or not.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
You guys with flare issues shoot me a pm. I'm in the deal making mood today and Im fairly confident that my modded solenoid will fix your issues.

6speedsd

Reaction score
I've tried the GoGo solenoid. Did nothing but make my 3-5 shift incredibly harsh. Ran it about 3 mths and took it back out. I think I have more of an electrical issue. Just don't have the means to figure it out.

Latest posts

Members online