Hard start and no low end power.

taterthedog

Reaction score
My buddy has an 05 250. 6.0. It's very hard to start. Once running it has no low end at all but will make power at the top end. EGR valve is new, fuel filters new. Fuel pressure at 50 psi. Idles rough but power balance on AE is good. Any advice? We have to start it on ether and then after a while it will stay running without the pedal.

CCRICE

Reaction score
The screw to the far left as you are facing the drivers side of the truck. DO NOT let the red lead on the multimeter touch the casing of the ficm as you can short the whole thing out.

Reaction score
Make sure your getting 500 psi oil pressure to fire the injectors while cranking and ohm the glow plugs to see if there are any bad ones.

Mdub707

Reaction score
4 pin FICM's you should be testing the pin closest to the drivers side, on 7 pins, the row with 4 screws in it, check the one closest to the passenger side.

19 is terrible, get it repaired.

03stroker

Reaction score
I would say check ficm and try starting it with the egr valve unplugged ..I put a new egr valve in mine b4 I deleted it and the egr valve went bad in a few weeks

taterthedog

Reaction score
Bumping this up. Just put in a FICM half from bpd. Set it up for 48v. Now it has good voltage koeo. However still runs the same. Could the previous low voltage have damaged the injectors?

Lassie

Reaction score
With voltage reading that low...yes, injector coils could now be bad.

A coil uses the same amount of power to operate, no matter what (unless bad). I don't know the actual coil ratings, but assume the injector uses a 100W coil. With DC, Power = current *voltage. At 48 volts, coil would pull 2.08 Amps. At 19 volts, coil would pull 5.2 Amps.

Current is what kills, so when voltage drops, things tend to fry. And the longer it's ran that way, the more things that get fried.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Are you POSITIVE your FICM plugs are seated well, I've had the same issue on a repair unit I was testing, tested at 48+V across the board but truck started and idled like garbage. Went to remove the FICM and the middle plug slid off on it... wasn't seated properly.

Latest posts

Members online