hard start fuel issue? any suggestions?

dasboot

Reaction score
Last 2 mornings (not too cold high 40’s) the truck has been hard to start after sitting up 8+ hours. I had to turn the key over and over a lot more than normal to get her to fire off. Sounds and feels like a fuel issue. After driving truck though out day, she fires like normal. I will be changing fuel filters and adding some diesel kleen. Any suggestion on what it might be ? or what is the best thing to diagnose. I’ll see after tonight if it is the filters. Fuel filters changed every 7500 mile with oil change. It is now due for a change. I have a scan gauge hooked up, if that reads fuel pressure, what are the norm pressure reading?

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
7500 miles is too long of a service interval for oil changes.

Plug the truck in overnight and let me know how it starts up tomorrow morning.

dasboot

Reaction score

BAH thnaks!
I will plug it in and see.
according what I have read , under normal Maintenance schedule
FF every 15K miles and under special (severe) operating every 10K miles.
I'm very under normal.
I inspected my primary filter yesterday and it looked good for properly maintained.
Information source http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/technicalresources/

I was reading a thread where someone had same issue. No mention of results. someone mention a glow plug relay. My glow light is coming on. How is the best way to diagnose the relay or glow plug? Scan gauge throwing NO CODES.

Atsah

Reaction score
Last 2 mornings (not too cold high 40’s) the truck has been hard to start after sitting up 8+ hours. I had to turn the key over and over a lot more than normal to get her to fire off. Sounds and feels like a fuel issue. After driving truck though out day, she fires like normal. I will be changing fuel filters and adding some diesel kleen. Any suggestion on what it might be ? or what is the best thing to diagnose. I’ll see after tonight if it is the filters. Fuel filters changed every 7500 mile with oil change. It is now due for a change. I have a scan gauge hooked up, if that reads fuel pressure, what are the norm pressure reading?

Normally things that cause your issue would be,

Something wrong in the glow plug circuit.. As said above, plug it in and see what happens.
FICM not working properly.
Severe injector spool valve sticktion.

I wouldn't think it would be fuel related because the truck runs fine after she fires..

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
I change my oil after 3k miles. I would not go any longer than 5k on a HEUI motor, the injectors beat the oil up pretty hard.

dasboot

Reaction score
Truck started up just fine at lunch time after sitting 6 hrs.

I just changed out fuel filters and inspected them. They looked pretty clean. I think I can rule out filters more or less

FICM readings from Scan Gauge
Vehicle power 13.5v
Logic Power 13.0v
Main Power 48.5v
battery voltage 13.8v

Injector Control Pressure
IPR or ICp / HPOP 22.7 + /- I'm not sure what normal paramiter readings / range should be

Mdub707

Reaction score
You really need to test the FICM with a multi-meter on a COLD motor. You need to check it with key on engine off, cranking, and running, it needs to be 48V at all three conditions.

Reaction score
If you're saying it takes a few long cranks for it to fire it could very well be a glow plug issue. I was having this issue and just changed the glow plug control module. Easy fix, a little pricey but made a world of difference to my truck

jdc753

Reaction score
Are you getting smoke out the tailpipe while cranking (when it is having trouble)??

My FICM would test fine when sitting at idle, however it would drop down into the 2X volt range while cranking. Also it was sporadic when it would cause hard starting, sometimes it would start up just fine.

dasboot

Reaction score

sorry for the long delay answer, i was at the atlanta MEPS. for a physical. Quess that one.
anyways i had her plugged up over nite. It wasn't that cold out. 50 deg. She fired right up like she been running all day.
one of the techs from work will bring his scanner and we will scan diag

Atsah

Reaction score
If you plug it in and it starts and runs like you have been driving all day, you have narrowed it down to either injector spool valve sticktion or the glowplug circuit isn't working properly.. Or of course you are leaving the oil in to long and the 6.0 is shearing it.. IMO, 4K max on conventional oil in a 6.0..

dasboot

Reaction score
egr codes

Putting a scan reader on my truck I pulled a egr code of P1335 and P0404.
I know what they mean and what I have to do. I just did the maintenance this past summer or so.
My question is this. will a stuck open egr valve cause a long crank to no crank when engine is cold in morning? It will fire up on a dime warm. Letting glow plus circulate 2 time and having to crank long while cold. If I plug the block heater in it cranks fine and will crank fine even after sitting 8 hrs at work. weather temps nbeen in 40-50 range.
The scan the other week pulled the glow plug codes PO671 through 8 along with the egr codes. I changed the glow plug module out and it is not pulling the glow plug codes just the egr.
No colored smoke and trucks performace is fine.
What could cause the long crank?
I'll check it again when I have a chance try and crank it in the morning when I'm not cut for time and can't chance being late.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
EGR will cause long crank/hard start/no start. Pull the valve out and smash it closed on the ground. Put it back in and leave it disconnected and see how it starts.

dasboot

Reaction score
update 12/11

ok I got a chance to pull my EGR out and it was clogged. Worst than when I pulled its part of past summer. I guess I need to pull it more and clean it often. The top half was the worst. Clogged completely. I will have to put the scan back on it and recheck. I did a quick clean and will have to pull it for a thorough cleaning.
Other than I need to drive my truck more like I stole it as the saying goes. What causes clogging. I could not find to much info on the net, other than what happens when clogged and how to clean it.
Also I was reading I need to add more additives with cealtine (sp) .

Latest posts

Members online