HArd time starting

JMalmy21..00/7.3

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, here it goes.

With the fuse in for the horn, my truck has this interesting problem when i try to start it. Ill put the key in the ignotion and turn it to the on postion to allow the glow plugs to heat up. Now most of the time all the lights in the gauge area will come on, gauges will do their normal thing, air comes on, radion fires up. W the horn fuse in the only thing that happens is the air comes on.....NOTHING else!! If i try to turn it over it just gets stuck trying to fire up. Ill release the kay back into the ON postion and TTHHEENNNN all the lights, air, gauges, and radio come on. Now that the horn fuse is back out of the fuse box, it works perfectly...

Any thoughts??!!?!?!?!

This has put all my upgrading to a hault, sad

907DAVE

Reaction score
Wow...thats wild.

My only guess would be a GEM module that is freaking out. Codes?

JMalmy21..00/7.3

Reaction score
No codes or anything... last night truck fired up to get home from a buddies house. turned it off to when i got home. went to start it back up........NOTHING!!!! ABSOLUTELY nothing. now my trucks just dead in the street lol

TARM

Reaction score
Is this a air horn setup or just the OEM horn? Is the only thing on that fuse the horn circuit nothing else?

TARM

Reaction score
maybe a relay gone bad or a short somewhere along the path. But could have been other relays etc with the way you describe things freaking out.

Stupid question: Does your horn actually work when the fuse is in?

Was there anything out of the norm done that caused the old fuse to blow i.e staying on the horn for a long time etc..

907Dave this should be right up your alley I would think.

907DAVE

Reaction score
How is the ground strap on the inner fender beside the battery on the passenger side?

Fuse #12 only powers the horn relay. Do you have a air bag light on?

Cruise control working normally?

Last edited:

JMalmy21..00/7.3

Reaction score
OKay, Cruise work if i actually use it. Someone told me there was a recall on the cruise control for my 2000 f250?? the horn works when the fuse is in but its a really girlie high pitched horn lol the locking motors are burning/burnt out for my doors (all 4) idk if that matters at all and as far as i know nothing ab normal ws done to the horn.

TARM

Reaction score
So does the horn not work correctly? Why not put a meter on it and see what you are getting. Maybe the relay is shot or as Dave said something with the ground. I am amazed at the crazy crap a bad ground can cause. Its crazy. But personally I would not let a horn circuit stop my upgrades.

Could always run a new horn circuit to a new relay and be done with it.

bad12jr

Reaction score
I'd go with ground. Forgot to hook mine back up one day to the body radio went nuts relays clicking and no start. Run a jumper cable from the negative terminal to the body somewhere with bare metal.

Sent from my x2 somewhere

TARM

Reaction score
The thing about the ground being the issue is I would think the issue would be there in some manner or another regardless of the horn circuit being energized.

I would almost have to think the issue would have to be between the relay and fuse. If it was past the relay then wouldn't the issue only present itself when the relay was completed the circuit to the horn.

Maybe I am wrong on this but the issue is only when the fuse is put in and happens irregardless of whether the horn is active or not? Maybe its the ground that the horn relay uses thats the issue.

Latest posts

Members online