Head stud time! Any tricks? Pics of injector crud.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
Hey guys, home from school on break and figured what the hell, might as well tear the truck apart since I've had the studs and springs over a year on the work bench. Any tips or tricks. I'm planning on rocking the motor. Do I fully pull out each motor mount off the block? Etc.

Also, I've had haze and egt issues from day one of these injectors. They all looked good visually except the rear passenger side one, had this crud built up while the rest didn't. Whatcha think?

a2evydah.jpg

eze5azar.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
Ok so just UN bolt the one side an Jack her on up?

Black 02

Reaction score
Yes, but don't smash the motor into the bottom of the cab. Put a block on the exhaust manifold and go slow. You'll get the room.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
Well yeah lol, passengers side looks mighty tight lol. On a side note, sooo much easier to pull injectors after you pull the rockers

m j

Reaction score
which one did you pull first on that bank?
there should be nothing in the land between the copper washer and the O ring, it wouldnt seat with that crud there

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
Pulled the second one from the front first, I had trouble getting it to seat when I installed them the last time

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
Ok in the process of studs, pull the first spring off, and the damn thing has 910s INSTALLED already?! Should I just leave them?

bigfords

Reaction score
Just did my studs and springs last week... had to rock the engine for just one stud on the drivers side, and then 2 or so on the passenger side. I did not have to pull the AC evaporator cover off, but it was tight. Overall not a bad job at all, just time consuming.

bigfords

Reaction score
Ok in the process of studs, pull the first spring off, and the damn thing has 910s INSTALLED already?! Should I just leave them?

Does it have any shims under the springs? Are you sure they are 910s? My stockers looked very similar to the 910s, but I'm not sure how much they look different.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
They look identical.....same yellow paint on the sides and everything

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
Didn't see shims, I'm tempted to just leave them. Can anyone confirm stock springs are dual sprung?

bigfords

Reaction score
You know, I think thats how mine were too. They looked very similar... Maybe someone else can verify.

bigfords

Reaction score
I'm still going to say they are probably stock. Do you have any shims to put in?

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
Yeah .30 I called my buddy that runs a diesel shop and put springs in my buddies truck and he said he thinks stock doesn't have the two spring thing....

bigfords

Reaction score
Well if thats the case, then mine had 910s in it already too. Oh well.