Head studs- how many times can they be torqued?

isootmypants

Reaction score
H-11s. Had 600 hp set up for 10k, then had motor apart again, reused them and have been running another mid 600s setup. I'm getting Manley rods and girdle, and shooting for 800. Best bet is to get new studs correct?

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
Sell them to me cheap and buy new ones.

Honestly though, I would not hesitate to run them again in a different engine.
Especially considering they are H11, the studs are well within their linear elastic region at torque spec and reasonable CP.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
If you have never over torqued them you should be fine. But in the whole scheme of thing head studs are cheap insurance. If it were me I would get a new set. They might be fine but then they might not be. And with the pressure they will see, I know for me I would feel better if they were fresh. This is just my opinion.

njjeep

Reaction score
Can't you just measure them to make sure there not stretched?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

isootmypants

Reaction score

Yea but there is always a limit to usage I believe. I would not reuse them a 5th time though. 3rd...maybe. But pushing gaskets is the past thing I need haha

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
800 hp on stock gaskets? TJ I would be getting fire rings if I were you and then just reuse the studs. I'm less worried about the studs and more worried about the gaskets.

Reaction score
Does anyone have the length that the studs should be?
Theoretically you should be able to reuse them over and over as if torqued correctly you stay well within the elastic range of the metal and they never permanently "stretch". Would I use them 5 or 6 times probably not they arnt that expensive

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

mondtster

Reaction score

That is not the only thing I'd be worried about.

If you're worried about it why not call the manufacturer and see what they say? Don't you think you'd get a more accurate answer than you would on an Internet forum?

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Oringed heads it is. Anyone use those extreme studs yet? Jw

There are a couple or more guys on here now using or just installing them. There is nothing wrong with the H13 studs.

There are lots of guys using them for higher HP applications then we will ever use them for.

If you look into the tractor pulling world that is where they are used. It was not long ago they started making them for pickup application's. If they have hrld up in the tractor pulling world then I am 110% more then sure they will hold well in our application's.

Latest posts

Members online