Heads, to mill or not to mill?

marcsally

Reaction score
I`m new to this forum, but read alot. Still looking for the answer (correct answer). Is it OK to mill the 6.0 heads or not. I so, how much can I get away with? Any thoughts?

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I`m new to this forum, but read alot. Still looking for the answer (correct answer). Is it OK to mill the 6.0 heads or not. I so, how much can I get away with? Any thoughts?

Mill those ***kers.

Around. 007 is my cut off.

Make sure the machine shop does a good valve job.( cut the seats and valves and lap them in).

When you do a valve job,you will move the valves up roughly.010 thou, restoring your piston to valve clearance.

The piston protrusion above deck is .030
Oem head gasket compressed thickness of .052

.052-.030= .022 thou of clearance.

Ill go back in my notes tomorrow to make sure those numbers are correct.

marcsally

Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the info. My machine shop guy is clueless, but will do what I ask. Hope he doesnt screw it up!

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the info. My machine shop guy is clueless, but will do what I ask. Hope he doesnt screw it up!

i rechecked my notes.

tell the machine shop when they do the valve job AFTER the heads have been milled, to keep the valve recession to roughly 0.018-0.020 on the intake,and 0.025 on the exhaust.

also im sure they know(at least i hope) they have to cut roughly the same amount(roughly 0.010)off the stem top of the valve,so you dont screw up the preload on the lifter.

Last edited:

Mdub707

Reaction score
Definitely find a machine shop that has done 6.0 heads before. It shouldn't be too hard.

Latest posts

Members online