Heads

TXlineman83

Reaction score
Been waiting on the machine shop to magnaflux, square up, clean, install springs and put some bronze valve guides in my heads. Seems the guides are what's going to keep them in there longer. I personally firmly believe in them and thus have chosen not to rush the situation. However, the anticipation is killing me and wanted to gather the thoughts of everyone else on whether bronze valve guided were worth having done or not. Opinions roll. Tell me what u think.

TXlineman83

Reaction score
So am I shooting myself in the foot. Do I Need to call the shop in the morning to cancel that and hope it's not too late

Last edited:

Crack85

Reaction score
U are correct, but will happen if there is not proper lubrication on those on liners at higher rpm....they will generate excess heat and eventually fail.

TXlineman83

Reaction score
So are the pushrods not like ones in say a SBC. Oil flow through them to the rocker arm providing lubrication I'm just trying to understand my motor a little better here.

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
Hardened seats, decked, fluxed, springs of choice and done. Mine were cracked and shot, had to start with a new set..

TXlineman83

Reaction score
I sure wish someone had warned me of that in my build thread. I sure hope it's not too late. I sent my shop an email and will have to call them as soon as I can. But heads have been in the shop since Monday.

sootie

Reaction score
i wouldnt do them. the top end lubrication is poor at best on these trucks, that is why you see people replacing rockers often, the ends wear out.

TXlineman83

Reaction score
i wouldnt do them. the top end lubrication is poor at best on these trucks, that is why you see people replacing rockers often, the ends wear out.

I understand. Just hope it is not too terribly late. And my shops gonna hate me. Bc they have been pushing the machine shop. Chit rolls down hill.

sootie

Reaction score
I understand. Just hope it is not too terribly late. And my shops gonna hate me. Bc they have been pushing the machine shop. Chit rolls down hill.

just put it back on them-they couldn't deliver so you cancelled the order(dont tell them you just changed your mind LOL)

TXlineman83

Reaction score
just put it back on them-they couldn't deliver so you cancelled the order(dont tell them you just changed your mind LOL)

I was joking about the shop hating me. I don't care if they do or not. This is my build. Well really it's PSA's build bc I've learned most everything from here. Lol. I'm the customer. Do as I want. Lol. However, they do have my truck. My baby. My 3 kid in a sense. I want it treated right. Lol

groove

Reaction score
Well, I had bronze guides installed in mine. Seems like a no-brainer to me but that's just my thoughts. I don't have any time on the engine (I seriously JUST fired it up last night). I replaced all the valve train components as preventative maintenance. Rockers, pushrods, lifters. My engine had 260,000km on it and the rockers looked like new. Very little wear on the contact areas.
this was my first diesel build, but I am satisfied I made the right decision. time will tell I suppose

TXlineman83

Reaction score
Well, I had bronze guides installed in mine. Seems like a no-brainer to me but that's just my thoughts. I don't have any time on the engine (I seriously JUST fired it up last night). I replaced all the valve train components as preventative maintenance. Rockers, pushrods, lifters. My engine had 260,000km on it and the rockers looked like new. Very little wear on the contact areas.

this was my first diesel build, but I am satisfied I made the right decision. time will tell I suppose

Well I'm sure it'll be awhile before u know the results of your build but I wish u the best of luck with it. Keep me posted.

Fordtrucks

Reaction score

I see in your signature your running APR studs. Are those new? I myself went with trusty ole ARPs.. So far, so good.

:postwhore2:

golfer

Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend bronze unless you can 'deal' with some hazing at idle (bronze guides shouldn't be run with valve stem seals)...so during off-boost conditions, they will pull in some oil...and it'll go out the tailpipe.

we don't run/recommend bronze guides for street trucks...most folks do not like the hazing on a new engine.

race truck/competition truck...different mindset of what's acceptable.

TXlineman83

Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend bronze unless you can 'deal' with some hazing at idle (bronze guides shouldn't be run with valve stem seals)...so during off-boost conditions, they will pull in some oil...and it'll go out the tailpipe.

we don't run/recommend bronze guides for street trucks...most folks do not like the hazing on a new engine.

race truck/competition truck...different mindset of what's acceptable.

Thank you. I've called and told my shop not to follow through with the guides. I was unaware of the hazing of the information you explained.

groove

Reaction score
I see in your signature your running APR studs. Are those new? I myself went with trusty ole ARPs.. So far, so good.

:postwhore2:

Installed the studs (standard APR )when the motor was apart, only a few hundred KM on it right now :)
So far so good.

Latest posts

Members online