Headstuds? Cab on, or yank the motor?

Mdub707

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure my cab-off procedure isn't going to happen now. Long story but a "buddy" with a lift seems to have disappeared.

Either way... I'm still doing headstuds/gaskets and all the associated updates/upgrades. My question is, would you yank the motor or just do it cab on? Why? I'm contemplating yanking the motor, and possibly swapping a cam in too, but not 100% on that.

buckshot63

Reaction score
Did mine with cab on a little tricky but can be done. Will have to take inner fender and heater box out to get to stuff on passenger side. Also will need to modify firewall on drivers side just a little. Good Luck

Spindrift

Reaction score
I did my Ex cab on. Removed the front bumper, coolers and rad. Also removed the front tires and then dropper her. Worked out great.

SootRoller

Reaction score
Cab on. After you disassemble/remove the left hand head, pull the left hand motor mount. Make sure and pull all 4 of the radiator bracket bolts first. Using a small hoist and an old head bolt and a piece of chain, let the motor gently roll in the bay and let the pan sit on the crossmember under the engine. No need to pull the evap case, no need to worry about discharging/charging the ac. Works amazingly well. Just use the rubber band technique to install the studs with the head. That's how I like to do it. That's only because I hate the smell of refrigerant lol. Plus I work on a lot of econolines.

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
Cab on. After you disassemble/remove the left hand head, pull the left hand motor mount. Make sure and pull all 4 of the radiator bracket bolts first. Using a small hoist and an old head bolt and a piece of chain, let the motor gently roll in the bay and let the pan sit on the crossmember under the engine. No need to pull the evap case, no need to worry about discharging/charging the ac. Works amazingly well. Just use the rubber band technique to install the studs with the head. That's how I like to do it. That's only because I hate the smell of refrigerant lol. Plus I work on a lot of econolines.

I just pull the cover off the hvac box behind the heat shield and there is plenty of room. no need to pull the motor mounts.

YoungMT Hick

Reaction score
Get started before i leave, June 8th. That way i can come over and help. I have told you what I know. I have the adapter for the rear studs and I have the Chaser i mae that I can lend you. I pulled the AC box and dented the firewall on the drivers side. Otherwise it was not that bad. I think the hardest thing was is trying to figure out if you have cleaned the block good enough. That was a risky decision. Clean more or stop, what is to much. But i think you have covered that in another thread.

Pretty much just get started and figure out where to go from there or you will never do it.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I would love to do that, but I'm doing it at my buddies house, so when we start this project is up to him. I am basically ready to rock now. He's away for work this whole week, hopefully when he comes back we can do something. I'm not sure I'll be able to do it before you leave... May is turkey season! June 1st is ZBB concert, June 2nd I have a wedding... etc... probably doing it the weekend you're leaving haha. If I borrow those tools from you I can always just ship them to you once you leave too, if you don't mind Kenny.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.