heat only blowing when on the throttle

03justin6.0

Reaction score
ok so here is my problem , I have a 2003 f350 6.0 I haven't used it for any towing other then a little utility trailer so far, Iv only had it for a few weeks. when I bought the truck from day one I noticed that the heat only would blow hot when stepping on the throttle. Now only purchased this truck knowing the ARP head studs where done, as well as the egr delete. so with that being said iv been doing a lot of research on this issue and is steering me all kinds of different ways. I bought a tuner for my old 6.0 I had and I hooked it up just to diagnose the problems iv been seeing with the gauges . the EOT and the ECT are with in 15 or so degrees of each other. yet my coolant spills out my degauss bottle. there is no milky texture to it , I replaced the degas cap and filled my overflow to a little below the min line in hopes maybe it was originally over filled, and it still does it, I took it to the local garage to see if they good diagnose it , and they seem to think its a water pump issue. I see no noticeable power loss, but I have noting to go off of seeing how this issue has been around since I bought the truck, can anyone give me some advice or answers
43mph -ect 192.00,eot 209.17,boost 20.8
0mph- ect 218, eot 211.15

Last edited:

webb06

Reaction score
If it's pushing coolant out of the degas bottle it's got blown head gaskets. Sucks to tell you that but there's no way around that problem.

Needs an oil cooler too it sounds like.

morepower02

Reaction score
I had no heat at idle once. Dealer replaced headgaskets and took care if it.

03justin6.0

Reaction score
I really hope not , is that the only thing it could be? It's not a white residue tho it's just coolent

morepower02

Reaction score
Low coolant causes no heat at low rpm. Your coolant is low because the cylinder psi is blowing it out the degas. You need headgaskets and heads checked for crack/warp.

Last edited:

Bigred91

Reaction score
The headgaskets cause excessive pressure in the cooling system which forces coolant out of the degas bottle. The heat runs off of the coolant. When your low on coolant your aren't getting coolant into the heater core like it should to make the air warmer. When your on the throttle it pushes the coolant through the system better causing the heat to work

suprdzlduty

Reaction score
The excess pressure from the combustion causes the coolant flow to "lock" or prevent consistent flow through the heater core and other areas of the engine. When the rpm comes up the water pump can overcome the "lock" and push the coolant on through.

03justin6.0

Reaction score
Thanks for the info , i tried to make sure I wasn't getting my self into all these problems

03justin6.0

Reaction score
My thought was if the water pump or oil cooler isn't working it it could be flash boiling the Coolent under a heavier engine load creating pressure blowing coolant out of the overflow

Latest posts

Members online