Hellwig sway bars

jdgleason

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I decided that I wanted to try and make my truck as stable as I could at speed, towing, turning, whatever and I knew of several guys that have run Hellwig bars, but very little info on them. From what I saw with one of the trucks Justin did, i figured they'd be worth a shot.

Well I got them thrown on yesterday in about an hour and a half start to finish.

ajupubyq.jpg

Here is a good comparison of the rear Hellwig vs stock... Kinda crazy. The rear Hellwig bar is routed differently - it goes right above the axle and differential rather than behind and under the axle. Looking at it now, I really like that idea better.

9u8ebumu.jpg

The biggest pain of the
He entire process is getting the factory sway bar link unbolted from the drivers side as the nut is on the inside of the frame behind the fuel tank. You can get a gear wrench in there, just don't get much of a turn on it. The adjustment isn't bad on these, and the instructions are pretty straight forward too. I meant to take a whole lot more pictures than I did, but I'll get more this weekend.

As for first impressions; I'm super happy with them. I'm pretty convinced that with my OUO stuff, this is as close as a crew cab is going to get to handling like a car. Body roll from sharp turns is totally gone. Just swerving on the street, the truck doesn't hesitate or lean, just changes lanes. I also noticed that turning into a street with a dip, the dip feels much less violent, and the truck doesn't rock like it used to. I rolled into it pretty hard last night to put the truck sideways, and it used to lean and seem to unload the tires one way or another, and with the Hellwig sway bars, now it's just smooth and stable.

For the money I'm surprised more people don't have them lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbenn47

Reaction score
I have Hellwig Big Wigs installed front/rear and you do notice the difference especially cornering truck stays square to the road, I also have PMF trac bars and 2.5 coil springs up front, along with Blisteins all around, for a big truck rides nice. And yes that factory bar is a joke, don't even see how it does any good.

jdgleason

Reaction score
What's the price tag for both JD?

Right around $500 for front and rear. In terms of these trucks, relatively cheap mod lol.

I'm interested to see how or if they help towing. I'm assuming they will, but I am excited to know for sure.

TXlineman83

Reaction score
I'm interested in how it helps with the towing as well. Surely it doesn't limit the suspension flex of the 4wd.

Clifford_6.4

Reaction score
I've had the front bar on for about 300 miles now. it really makes the truck have more road manners compared to stock I couldn't be happier.

Sent from a little green goblin under a bridge.

Taylor D

Reaction score
Would like to see some pics of these installed especially the rear. I have been looking at these also who did you go through to get them and is there different versions or is that the only design (model) for the 08-10 trucks?

They look great

Big Stroker 6.4

Reaction score
I'm interested in how it helps with the towing as well. Surely it doesn't limit the suspension flex of the 4wd.

They will limit articulation or flex as you call it. That's exactly what there designed to do. For the trails you can use sway bar disconnects.

I run a Hellwig in the front and seen the same results. I'm also running heim joints for sway bar links, for added stability. Also working on a disconnect system so I can run a rear sway bar and still take it off-road. A good bang for the buck either way.

TXlineman83

Reaction score
I know it limits the flex. And I'm not looking for a rock crawler. I guess I should have rephrased myself. I had big sway bars on my jeep. But was still able to trail ride and take it to the river to hog hunt. What I should have referenced was being able to be functional and not so stiff so as to be unusable.

Zmann

Reaction score
the link that goes behind the fuel tank was a no go with my Titan tank and I was in no mood to drop the tank so since I had the welder out to lengthen the links for my 8" so I also welded the mounting stud on the frame instead

Helwig makes some nice bars IMHO as far as articulation My airbags were the limiting factor before I put on the Daystar cradles

Last edited:

TXlineman83

Reaction score
myqa8e6a.jpg

I'm not saying that I'm hard core off reading where I need sway bar disconnects or long arm travel. Hell I don't even want to lift it. Function over looks in my opinion. If it doesn't serve a purpose I don't want it. I know the hellwigs do.

Big Stroker 6.4

Reaction score
I'm not saying that I'm hard core off reading where I need sway bar disconnects or long arm travel. Hell I don't even want to lift it. Function over looks in my opinion. If it doesn't serve a purpose I don't want it. I know the hellwigs do.

I'm not sure what your point is. :shrug: You made a statement saying, "surely these bars don't limit flex" obviously that's incorrect.. Anyways.. Sorry for the derail op.

Zmann

Reaction score
yes
it might even be the same for the ones that have the OEM sway bar since I don't think for the rear you re use any OEM parts

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.