help me pick my tunes

codyc7.3

Reaction score
next month im going to buy a ts chip for my 2000 sd but i cant decide whose tunes i want iv made up my mind and changed it about 50 times right now my choices are Beans, Gearhead, DI, and swamps. my mods are basic exhaust, intake and gauges. but have plans for 250/200 injectors and big air in the future. i would like to hear your guys' opinions. and if theres anyone im overlooking.i know these are all good tunes and im not trying to start a pissing match. thanks for the help fellas

cj45lc

Reaction score
check out Tony Wildman & Bill @ Power Hungry Performance

that gives you a even 1/2 dozen to choose from...haha

AzPsd55

Reaction score
Whoever you chose im sure you will be real happy, i have not heard of any bad feedback from the above tuners. My tought is to call the ones you are interested in dealing with,
Tell them what you have and what you plan on doing. That should help you make a better observation on who you will go with

onebad7.3

Reaction score
You can't go wrong with ANY of those tuners. I've had Wildman, Swamps, and Beans, all of them have been great. I have Bean's in the truck now, and that is the one that is staying in there.

Southmike

Reaction score
Php can set you up wwith a burner and you can load your own tunes, ( ones they send you) with little or no down time. Not sure who else does but any of thos six woukd be great. All have similar variations of stock, hi idle, tow, econo, 100 and 140 race tunes.

TyCorr

Reaction score
My PHP tunes are niiiiice! They make awesome power too! Thing I liked about custom tunes was the driveability no matter what tune I used. I could daily drive in the 140hp race tune of Bills. It would smoke a little bit but once the 38r would light it was smoke free.

I like his tuning. I WILL try matts tunes(gearhead) when I get this mother***ker back on the road.

V-Ref

Reaction score
Theres a new tuner in town that can tune 250/200's to be smokeless, cool, and towable at high altitude. On one tune.

Not taking anything away from the tuner you're hiding in your pocket, but I'm 100% certain there are several "old" tuners who are capable of such too. Your new tuners experience at elevation/towing is going to generate some interest for sure.

To the OP-
I'd decide on who's 250/200s you want to buy, then ask your injector builder who their tuner of choice is. Seems like the injector builder/tuner kind of compliment each other in the 7.3 community. That way if there's an issue with how your trucks runs later down the line, you potentially have a team of folks helping you out, not two folks potentially pointing fingers to solve problems.

I'd also contact each tuner your considering, and ask questions regarding responsiveness to reburns for component changes/upgrades, or individual truck/driver differences. As mentioned above, some will support a TS Burner, others not.

If you were able to later get your truck live tuned....that would put that tuner/injector builder team to the top of my list. WOP/DP Tuner comes to mind being close by...

FWIW-I have nothing but awesome things to say about my experience with Unlimited/Gearhead. Just pulled another tank at 17.7 mpg....that tank had about 2 dozen dyno runs on it too!

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
Cale has top notch tunes for those sticks. My money would go to gearhead or swamps honestly. Matt and Jonathan are both awesome tuners and have top notch customer service. I got to meet and work with Jonathan at Scheids this weekend when he helped us out with some issues. What a great guy to work with!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Big Bore

Reaction score
Not taking anything away from the tuner you're hiding in your pocket, but I'm 100% certain there are several "old" tuners who are capable of such too.
There is one other tuner that I know of that has done it, and they only tune their own stuff. The others have not been able to do what he or my tuner have done. There is one other that I believe could do it, but again he only tunes for himself. There is even a very notable tuner here who has stated he doesn't think 200% nozzles could be tuned this way.

Your new tuners experience at elevation/towing is going to generate some interest for sure.

He is the only tuner who has the experience doing it successfully here with 250/200's. The others are shooting in the dark. Even the live tuning that's been done is missing the mark.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
To the OP-
I'd decide on who's 250/200s you want to buy, then ask your injector builder who their tuner of choice is. Seems like the injector builder/tuner kind of compliment each other in the 7.3 community. That way if there's an issue with how your trucks runs later down the line, you potentially have a team of folks helping you out, not two folks potentially pointing fingers to solve problems.

I'd also contact each tuner your considering, and ask questions regarding responsiveness to reburns for component changes/upgrades, or individual truck/driver differences. As mentioned above, some will support a TS Burner, others not.

If you were able to later get your truck live tuned....that would put that tuner/injector builder team to the top of my list. WOP/DP Tuner comes to mind being close by...

FWIW-I have nothing but awesome things to say about my experience with Unlimited/Gearhead. Just pulled another tank at 17.7 mpg....that tank had about 2 dozen dyno runs on it too!

:whs: not a bad idea to plan ahead and put the injector builders favorite tuner with his injectors. I know a few of these guys like unlimited/ gearhead work together on a lot of things, and seem to have great results when their products are paired up.

TARM

Reaction score
Yes and when it comes to smoke free or very low smoke possible Matt is very very hard to beat. That goes for 200% injectors as well.

Latest posts

Members online