Help.... please

Jr white

Reaction score
Think he's just wondering why you're taking it to the dealer when you just had an aftermarket turbo and pump installed at another shop. Why not take it back to the shop, have the oil and coolant changed, make sure the reservoirs are full, and see if that solves your issue? That would be my first step. You just paid for install of these parts, make sure the shop makes good on it.

Truck is still at shop that done upgrades for me. But after what has happened and comments I read, his knowledge of 6.7 is questionable. Would rather have experienced mechanics assess the situation. I though shop I took it too was experienced in 6.7 but after all this has happened he admitted he only worked on 6.0 and 6.4.

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
Truck is still at shop that done upgrades for me. But after what has happened and comments I read, his knowledge of 6.7 is questionable. Would rather have experienced mechanics assess the situation. I though shop I took it too was experienced in 6.7 but after all this has happened he admitted he only worked on 6.0 and 6.4.
Let the shop,that did the install,get it worked out,you don't need to be a 6.7L GURU to change a turbo on a 6.7l!

bpan

Reaction score
People make mistakes and misunderstand things, it happens. I'm sure he wants to find the solution just as badly as ypu do. Let him take another look. Tell him your thoughts from what you've learned here. He will make it right.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
What do you suppose Ford is going to do for you...

They are less familiar with a moddedd 6.7L with a budget turbo than the shop that did the work more than likely.

What I'm saying. And not trolling.... is if you can swing it, do a 15 turbo or street max upgrade.

Points been given to do some checking yourself such as top the coolant off and change the oil.

50_shooter

Reaction score
Very true in every way shape and form....

Maps are maps.

Have you ever actually driven a 6.7 with a small non vgt? Castrated definitely isn't the word that comes to mind... I'm not saying one is better than the other, but telling this guy what he has is crap and he needs to ditch it isn't true or fair. I almost guarantee you that he will be super happy with it when he gets the other problems worked out. It will be a fun ride.

Jr white

Reaction score
I will keep turbo I have. Dropping another 3k-4k for streetmax is not gonna happen just over one person's opinion. Thanks for advice though.

doo dah

Reaction score
I will keep turbo I have. Dropping another 3k-4k for streetmax is not gonna happen just over one person's opinion. Thanks for advice though.

I had stock VGT then went with 64mm non VGT and will tell you there is a difference but once you get the right tuning and get used to driving a non VGT it isn't that bad. I struggled with bad tuning for a while and once we got it figured out all is good. Mine spools fairly quick for what it is. Would I be happier with a VGT? Maybe but I do like the power once the turbo does build boost, almost like nitrous. I'll go from 8 to 34 lbs boost in just a couple seconds, which a VGT may do as well but as I add fuel the lower drive pressure of the non VGT may be better for daily driving and towing. I'm by no means an expert, just giving you my experience as one that has had both. I wish you luck on getting things fixed and hope that things get buttoned up, this is the best PSD I have ever owned.

Jr white

Reaction score
I had stock VGT then went with 64mm non VGT and will tell you there is a difference but once you get the right tuning and get used to driving a non VGT it isn't that bad. I struggled with bad tuning for a while and once we got it figured out all is good. Mine spools fairly quick for what it is. Would I be happier with a VGT? Maybe but I do like the power once the turbo does build boost, almost like nitrous. I'll go from 8 to 34 lbs boost in just a couple seconds, which a VGT may do as well but as I add fuel the lower drive pressure of the non VGT may be better for daily driving and towing. I'm by no means an expert, just giving you my experience as one that has had both. I wish you luck on getting things fixed and hope that things get buttoned up, this is the best PSD I have ever owned.

Thanks.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score

i was shocked at how well the 363 drove with a cast wheel. i towed 10k or so with it and had no complaints. just took a little bit of a learning curve .

Jomax

Reaction score
Have you ever actually driven a 6.7 with a small non vgt? Castrated definitely isn't the word that comes to mind... I'm not saying one is better than the other, but telling this guy what he has is crap and he needs to ditch it isn't true or fair. I almost guarantee you that he will be super happy with it when he gets the other problems worked out. It will be a fun ride.

I have, they loose their low end grunt. And it was a 64mm bell turbo to boot. I'll take VGT... or compounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50_shooter

Reaction score
Well if your truck is making 1380 TQ with a stock 15 turbo and stock fuel it's a unicorn and has way more low end grunt than 99% of all 6.7's. So it might not be a fair comparison, lol

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Well if your truck is making 1380 TQ with a stock 15 turbo and stock fuel it's a unicorn and has way more low end grunt than 99% of all 6.7's. So it might not be a fair comparison, lol

Great comparison for people that drive WOT non-stop!!

Look, I'm not bashing a non-vgt... but that's not practical for people cruising and using their trucks as normal civilians!!

Yes a very select few know how to "drive around" a strait vane.

Many people have no idea what there getting into with a "budget non vgt" especially with the need of a true custom live tuning"

Towing with one is great if you tow alot or full time... due to the load. That's why many don't complain when they say "tows great"

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Great comparison for people that drive WOT non-stop!!

Look, I'm not bashing a non-vgt... but that's not practical for people cruising and using their trucks as normal civilians!!

Yes a very select few know how to "drive around" a strait vane.

Many people have no idea what there getting into with a "budget non vgt" especially with the need of a true custom live tuning"

Towing with one is great if you tow alot or full time... due to the load. That's why many don't complain when they say "tows great"

i sell alot of both vgt and non vgt . i have owned and driven both. i know for my 13 , on stock fuel , i was shocked at how well mine drove with the box 63 in the MPD kit. in the higher tunes the smoke output was a good bit more at low rpm with the foot down, but average driving just wasn't bad at all. i towed around 10k a few times and it was literally nothing different than the stock turbo cept the noise , just had to use my head when getting on it at low speed and rpm to not make a mess of smoke. the smoke map is crazy on the 6.7 in general , so unless the tuner really goes after disabling that map , it can be low to no smoke, at least with an 11-14 pump, probably can be worse with a 15-16 . with that setup i ran the base h&s cal2 file. no mcc .

they each have their place for sure , but the right non-vgt for your needs can me very suitable. then again , hard to beat a street max for the exact same needs .

50_shooter

Reaction score
I think something that is very important, for my setup, is being able to shift on the fly. I would hate it if I had to reflash to change fueling. Towing would be a smokey, laggy, mf on the bigger tunes. That's something I just thought about. Even with the 64 I had I always turned it down to tow.

Jr white

Reaction score
Update.... turbo bolts where loose not torqued to specs, had put silicone on turbo gasket, was leaking, coolant system would not hold pressure. Drained 9 gallons of oil and coolant out of oil pan, was the consistency of thick cake batter, had put wrong coolant in, used yellow instead of orange. Put new gasket under turbo and tightened bolts to spec, coolant system holding pressure now, so hopefully that was problem. Now just have to change oil few time to make sure all coolant out of oil system and hopefully no further damage was done.

Thank you all for your comments.

Latest posts

Members online