HELP SMELLING COOLANT/WHITE SMOKE

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
just started today. i smelled it but never saw it so i blew it off thought it was someone else. on the way home today from the gym bout 20 min ago i smell it again but this time im alone, so i know its me now. the next light i come to i see a lot of white smoke out the back of the exhaust. when i get home you can see where the coolant was burning off of the tail pipe. i checked the oil dipstick and doesnt seem to be coolant in the oil. its not milky. i recently put a coolant filter kit on about 3 weeks ago. its not leaking. the overflow bottle up top doesnt seem to be leaking other than where i spilled from filling it back up. im thinking egr went south maybe? what do you guys think. this is my DD and need it. if it does sound like egr cooler went i have an egr delete all ready to go to do the install tomorrow morning. thanks guys!

JMart

Reaction score
It does sound like the egr cooler. Be prepared to spend more than the morning on it.

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
luckily i dont go back on shift till Tuesday lol. talked to lance and he said to replace the oil cooler as well. so since ill be near it ill be replacing that too it looks like.

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
anyone still think its an egr issue? i really need to get this fixed. headgaskets are cheap but i cant do studs just yet. not enough money.

Atsah

Reaction score
If your oil cooler is clogged, the coolant will boil and steam is what you get along with wrecking the EGR cooler..

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
im gonna drive it to my in laws which is 15-20 mins away and let her sit for the night so i can work on it when its cool

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
Well found that there is oil coming from the exhaust. No coolant mixed with it. So on top of egr cooler going I think the oil cooler went with it. This truck is taking everything but the sink at the moment.

TXGLASSMAN

Reaction score
And if you don't fix it quickly it will take the head gaskets with it.

That's how it all starts, the oil cooler fails, that takes out the egr system, then that causes it to overheat and take out the head gaskets

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
It's at the house now to cool off for the night and she under goes a bypass tomorrow. Kept it 820* egt and lower so nothing too high. Don't need blown heads lol

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
Ok in at gettin the egr cooler out and can't seem to get it to let go of the intake manifold. Any ideas?

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
Does the oil and fuel filter housing come off to get the intake manifold to move and for egr cooler to come out?

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
Wish I knew how to help. Best of luck and be generous with PB blaster it magically makes stuck things un-stuck. Like the clamp for my up-pipe to turbo. Couldn't get it to budge, but it with the PB and it about jumped off the pipe itself.

Last edited:

JMart

Reaction score
I just did my delete last week. It sucks. If you remove all the bolts from the passenger side of the intake and loosen the driver side bolts a lot you can raise the intake enough to put a small pry bar between it and the cooler, and push the cooler down.

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
I just pulled the intake out. Have to do oil cooler anyways. Oil cooler is out now time to put upgraded parts in.