HELP - white smoke at cold start

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
read!! click the link!!

we can get very technical if you like! but.. if the mechanic cannot give us exact test results a conclusion can not be reached!

otherwise you are playing parts til it starts!

just because a part is new does not mean that it tests good.
here is a link for a diagnostic guide and if the tests are ran correctly you will more than likely stumble across the problem. print the sheet and do all the tests without skipping steps, write exact test results on the sheet
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/vehicles/diesel/schematics/05_Diesel_Performance_Sheet.pdf

did you do this?

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
do all these tests and give us exact ficm voltage, might even try some marvel in the oil.
we can narrow it down with exact info

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
do not put marvel mystery oil in the engine oil. my father and i run a powerstroke specialty shop in salem nh. sorry to come off like a dick but i hate seeing people bring there truck some where for work, spend tons of money and have to go out on there own to figure out whats wrong because its still not fixed. that is not how i (we) do business.

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
do not put marvel mystery oil in the engine oil. my father and i run a powerstroke specialty shop in salem nh. sorry to come off like a dick but i hate seeing people bring there truck some where for work, spend tons of money and have to go out on there own to figure out whats wrong because its still not fixed. that is not how i (we) do business.

i run a shop in indiana and a powerstroke runs the same here as it would in new hampshire

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
Rob, We need to know the ECM, TCM & FICM calibrations. I have a hunch. do you know if the 58V ficm from Vivians have a custom/aftermarket FICM tune in it?

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
If youre around tonight i could meet up with you and check the calibrations with my ford tool. or if you have an SCT X3 they usually show all three module calibration IDs.

Rob D

Reaction score
If youre around tonight i could meet up with you and check the calibrations with my ford tool. or if you have an SCT X3 they usually show all three module calibration IDs.

No worries man. Thanks for the offer wish I saw it earlier. I do not have an xcal 3 - have the xcal 2. The 58V FICM just has the latest ford flash - not an aftermarket tune. I am in Boston. My mechanic is in Eastford CT about an hour and a half from me. He feels horrible he could not get down to the bottom of it and is offering to come drive to Boston to pick it up - he is not leaving me hanging. Told me he was going to call over to Powerstroke Enginuities in the AM - he knows Dorian over there. If you could PM me your number I would love to talk and see what you might be thinking could be the issue. I found out tonight he did not actually IDS the new injectors bc when he had the truck after the install it ran great with no miss - he admitted fault on that end. I think the truck has a miss...probably injector(s). Will keep posting as I go. Thanks again.

Dirty Outlaw

Reaction score
Well mine was bellowing out white smoke for about 10 min a couple of weeks ago and it was the ebs sensor cleaned it and now no bellowing hope that helps

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
Ok, now we need to find the FICM strategy. Ive been playing around with ecm tcm and ficm calibrations for some time now, its been my experience that any ECM cal that is supposed to be paired with an inductive heat FICM cal when paired with a non inductive heat ficm cal will make the truck smoke insane cold. Ive had this problem on my own truck and a few customers trucks.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
Ok, now we need to find the FICM strategy. Ive been playing around with ecm tcm and ficm calibrations for some time now, its been my experience that any ECM cal that is supposed to be paired with an inductive heat FICM cal when paired with a non inductive heat ficm cal will make the truck smoke insane cold. Ive had this problem on my own truck and a few customers trucks.

Mine is doing the same thing, if I shut it off after 2-3 seconds n refire it then it's fine, I think is the strategy not matching up as u said.... I have the one with the injector rattle after the key shuts off.... Would it be possible to roll my ecm back to that ficm strategy n match them up?

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
thanks to power hungry performance anything is possible as far as mixing and matching calibrations goes. however i would recommend removing that ficm calibration. i would run power hungrys economy ficm tune and flash the ecm back to VXBC6.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
thanks to power hungry performance anything is possible as far as mixing and matching calibrations goes. however i would recommend removing that ficm calibration. i would run power hungrys economy ficm tune and flash the ecm back to VXBC6.

Pm me all the info u need, can this be done remotely?

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
No, unless you get on their waiting list for a programmer. otherwise you will need to send them your modules. i do PHP FICM tuning and ECM/TCM tuning in house. i am in new hampshire though

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
No, unless you get on their waiting list for a programmer. otherwise you will need to send them your modules. i do PHP FICM tuning and ECM/TCM tuning in house. i am in new hampshire though

Turn around time at ur shop

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
takes less than 3 minutes to tune a ficm and about 45 min to do an ecm/tcm flash back. but i can only do the modules in the truck. i suppose i could do a ficm if it was mailed to me i would just have to install it in my truck and flash it then remove it and send it back.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
takes less than 3 minutes to tune a ficm and about 45 min to do an ecm/tcm flash back. but i can only do the modules in the truck. i suppose i could do a ficm if it was mailed to me i would just have to install it in my truck and flash it then remove it and send it back.

What about the ecm tcm? I just read it n u match the ficm to it?