help with front axel

dakar711

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 2003 f250 6.0
its lifted 6in with 37s

I kept noticing a popping noise coming from the front axle so I started inspecting today and noticed both axle shaft have ALOT of play in them!
My hub bearings assemblies I just changed about 2 months ago got them from ford! Ball joints, tie rod, drag link, sway bar links there all good!

So I try to spin the drive shaft with both hubs unlocked and it (driveshaft) spin freely. But when I only lock one it hit a hard spot and you can barely turn it with your hands and once you get past the hard spot it squeaks! Same thing on both side not just one or the other!

I pulled front diff cover off, gears looks good. Nothing that I can see outta the ordinary!

Any idea what it could be guys?
Also both of the outer axle seals need replacing, is there a special tool to get them off the outer axle shaft? Heres the seal im talking about!

Attachments

• 20140830_003125.jpg
    20140830_003125.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 43

squirtgun

Reaction score
I beat them off with a pry bar and 2lb sledge hammer. There isn't any way I know of to get them off for reuse

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
Well your hub lockouts are apparently not locking. I had this problem with an 02, except one of the lock outs would lock and unlock on its own. Thats a scary situation when driving any speed above about 5 mph. Lol
Id change your hub locks asap. I just put manual super winch locks on that truck, worked fine and where very stout for the money.

Latest posts

Members online