help with issues on my "new" truck

KingRanch6.0L

Reaction score
Hello all,

I hope everyone is doing well. So to make a long story short. I traded my Harley for a 2001 F-350 extended cab long bed 4x4 6 speed manual. the truck has 300K on it. The truck more or less sat for the last 3 years. maybe 10k in 3 years

The guy i got it from said the truck has the following all done in last 80k. He has the recipts for most:
250cc 80% injectors single shot
High tech Big Bad Wolf turbo 88mm
4 inch down pipe straight piped
SCT custom tuner
South bend clutch
AFE stage 2 intake

I bought a edge cts2. The truck has some gauges that kinda dont work so i dont trust them. So the edge says that i can get up to 2-3 psi of boost while the pod will almost get to 10 psi. I hear no whisle at all. Idle or on the go. I am checking for leaks now. I know i have a leak on the exhaust manifold to the up pipe because i can hear it. I just need to try to realign everything.

I just installed:
Exhaust manifold gaskets
New bellowed up pipes
EBPV ******
Changed all fluids
Removed all exhaust components and cleaned everything
Installed new turbo pedestal without the EBP valve solenoid
CCV mod
Fuel filter replaced and bowl cleaned

Concerns:
Can the stock fuel system keep up with those injectors?
Why do i have no turbo psi?
At idle there is a small amount of grey (not white) smoke. Why?
Spent $1000 on parts doing the work myself to try to save money just dont want to keep guessing.
Should i believe my edge cts2 boost readings or the one on the pod? I think the pod is hooked up to the intercooler cold side.

I know that was all kinda jumbled but just writing at i was thinking. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you everyone

psduser1

Reaction score
Fix your exhaust leaks first. Ten psi isn't unusual, depending on load, obviously.
How hard/how many miles have you put on the truck?
Might run it with some sort of scanner or data logger, see what numbers you have. Not sure how accurate the cts is, never used one. It only sees what the pcm can see.
Who's tunes on the sct? How custom?

jaybuller

Reaction score
yes fix all exaust pre turbo leaks till 100% tight. then check for all post turbo "boost leaks" make sure that is all tight with no leaks. then run the truck aain and check your boost. 10 psi on an 88mm turbo with 250cc injectors is a very small amount if your pushing the truck. get it on the highway and get on it. then tell us your boost numbers. you should see 35 plus psi with that setup.

KingRanch6.0L

Reaction score
10 psi on the pod is 100% throttle and alot of black smoke. I have only driven the truck about 50 miles since i got it. Wanted to fix any issues before i drove it too much. The CTS2 and the sct programmer do data logging but i dont know how to make sense of any of it.

Tune from Elite Diesel Engineering

ghohouston

Reaction score
Run an injector buzz test to diagnose the p1670. Have a look at your map sensor hose, and also look at map on your scanner, if you don't have any boost leaks, and have fixed the exhaust leak.

psduser1

Reaction score
So any recommendations on what voltage IDM i should replace the stock one with?

Stock or reman are all the same voltage.
If you want something a bit snappier, swamps has a nice idm.
I'd probably fix your other issues first, if it's idling smoothly, and no missing during normal driving, your idm is serviceable. Maybe not "perfect", but serviceable.

bruce

Reaction score
whose injectors? whose tunes? and a htt big bad woof is a knockoff 38r. its 88mm on the exhaust side.

KingRanch6.0L

Reaction score
So i did the boost leak test. I kinda laughed a bit with all the leaks i found. Sealed up most as best i could. Get about 12 psi now on full throttle. Runs better

bruce

Reaction score
It prolly has pmr, you may not want it to make full powah, you'll install the see through block mod

jaybuller

Reaction score
So i did the boost leak test. I kinda laughed a bit with all the leaks i found. Sealed up most as best i could. Get about 12 psi now on full throttle. Runs better

Runs good now like feels like has a little balls or feel good like it blows the rear tires off on dry pavement when floored at any speed under 45 mph? Cause it should anialate the tires. My last 7.3 with an auto would do that with 238cc sticks

ghohouston

Reaction score
what is the see through block mod??

The "pmr's" he was referring to are powdered metal rods, which started somewhere late 2000 ish iirc. Theyre more likely to break, and make a new hole in your engine block.The older trucks all had forged connecting rods, which were stronger to a certain horsepower. Did you check out the map sensor hose or anything else I suggested on the first page? You should be making alot more boost than that.

Nick7.3

Reaction score
Big injectors for a stock fuel system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online