help with super loose steering

Tonka350

Reaction score
Hey guys been a while....I've slowly been attacking the trucks issues since I got home one by one....the only issue left AS OF NOW is the loose as a steering......within the past year ive replaced the tie rod ends, drag links, new track bar and bushings, steering intermediate shaft, rag joint, and I'mat a loss....in both directions I probably have about 4" of play in the wheel....it has become ungodly unsafe and scares the hell out of me to even drive the damn thing...Rom clock direction I probably have play from 9-3 before the steering actually reacts to what I want it to do.....please help!!! If I cant figure it out I'm about to replace everything to do with the steering again....

Chad

todd31277

Reaction score
didn't see steering box on the list. with that much play u should be able to have someone move the steering wheel back and forth and see where the play is coming from.

Tonka350

Reaction score
Steering box was a year and a half ago...I actually cant see where the play is coming from...my last bet is the actual column itself.....but it's driving me crazy

co04cobra

Reaction score
Check where the steering shaft bolts on to the column inside the truck and at the box. Also look at the pitman arm nut and possibly retorque it. Where was the new box from?

ncollins64

Reaction score
Whs^ I replaced all my steering components and track bar with bullet proof steering parts and loved it. I was still getting play and tracked it down to my gearbox. There's 2 nuts and an Allen head bolt going through them on top of the gearbox. I tightened the Allen bolt down as far as I could and it fixed my problem 100%. I'm still gonna get a redhead box though sometime in the spring.

co04cobra

Reaction score
There is only 1 nut on the 99-04 boxes. I do not suggest tightening the box. If that much play is in the box, it needs replaced.

todd31277

Reaction score
not sure on sd models haven't paid attenion :) but obs have a u-joint under the dash. i wouldn't tighten the worm gear on the box either. if it wore out steering is not the place to cheap out

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
If it was just a lil bit of play then id just tighten up the gear box but with that much slop, id be checking everything conected from the steering wheel to the tires.

live life full throttle

fastersteve

Reaction score
I ordered a Redhead box today, anxious to see what difference it makes...I've always had a thing for Redheads.

Tonka350

Reaction score
Well I traced the problem today. The pitman arm nut is continually coming loose and causing the steering to loosen up....We're changing the box and putting a new nut on it and seeing if that will fix the issue...hopefully....

Chad

co04cobra

Reaction score
Well I traced the problem today. The pitman arm nut is continually coming loose and causing the steering to loosen up....We're changing the box and putting a new nut on it and seeing if that will fix the issue...hopefully....

Chad

Does it have the lock washer on it?

Tonka350

Reaction score
Yeah the lock washer is on there and it was literally drenched in thread lock....I dont know why I have to keep doingit....had to do it 3 times in the past day.

Chad

k2xp

Reaction score
I had the same problem my steering was loose from 10 ocklock to 2 and the truck would go straigh. It ended up being a loose bolt also added a washer hopefully it fixes the problem so far its been good has the new "tight" feel to it now

Latest posts

Members online