Heui Injection

Iso-baric

Reaction score
I had one of the first 100 made. It was dog shit. Leaked out the rear cover from the day I got it.

Ironically my dog did actually shit on the honey badger hoodie given away with the first 100. The only time is his adult life he shit in the house. Guess he knew better than I did.

Big Bore

Reaction score
So....

A long time ago...... in a galaxy far, far away..... I recall testing proceeding along toward ever lower and lower hydraulic ratios for Heui injectors in an effort to stave off the #1 obstacle to Heui power..... oil per unit time. At the time, the fastest injectors were those with the lowest hydraulic ratio possible with available internal component combinations.... aka, hybrids at a ~5:1 ratio. Dave at Swamps specifically pushed hard enough to produce some one-off P&B's much larger than 7mm that while knowingly lacking the materials and manufacturing processes necessary for actual service in an engine, were sufficient for proof of concept and some dumb fast injection rates were achieved. In reality..... if a person could lock in a vendor to produce such a small batch of P&B's and be willing to pay through the teeth, that path could be taken. But at the time CR seemed the obvious choice, or just put a pump on the engine because price-wise, it was just dumb expensive and therefore dropped.

Fast-forward... to present day....

Surprisingly, people are still playing with the 7.3, the old girl just keeps hanging in there. So.... For anyone interested.... since I clearly will not be having any talks with anyone at Swamps going forward, I have a lingering concept never fleshed out that could prove very cost-effective at reducing hydraulic ratio in a way that should be very reliable and require no special machining.

Reduce the intensifier piston surface area instead.

Yes, the spring is in the way but I honestly think you can just remove it. Then machine up an intensifier of whatever diameter floats your boat ( I have some thoughts on that too) but simplistically, just say something to land on a 4:1 or a 3:1 ratio. Then machine bushings to press into the bodies bringing the intensifier piston bore inline with the new sizing with an O-ring groove.

To account for the missing return spring, just take the delivery pump pressure of 50 or whatever, and run it into something similar to a Gen3 pump, possibly even in the Gen3 style mount and offset the fuel pressure only in the heads themselves up to 400, 600, 1000 or whatever maintains a return amount (and subsequent available stroke) desired.

In this way you could remove the spring entirely, freeing up the way for a very easily machinable intensifier piston and sleeve and also allow for a dynamic injector total capacity based on the delivery fuel pressure you send to the heads. Similar in part to the concept of the PT injection system.

Anyway. I seem to find myself back in the 7.3 game and without anyone to collaborate with, so internet, shoot that down, else I'd be interested to see what a system like that would do up top on a 7.3.

Also... the increased ICP can be managed with altered poppet valve geometry where it is exposed to the ICP in order to balance the static force needed to keep the poppets from floating at 4000 or 5000+ ICP without shimming the poppet spring, delaying open time, necessitating dual IDM's again and all that, yada, yada, yada.

With the lower hydraulic ratios and super large nozzles you could run proportionately higher ICP without blowing the fuel plates to piss because the achieved injection pressure would probably still fall somewhere close to that of a stock AD at full song.... just while pushing fuel through a nozzle 5 or more times larger....

Thoughts?
Well, here I am looking out the window at the old 99 over coffee and thinking I should give the new 7.3 gasser truck a break and put the Stroke back on the road and wondering what injectors are the new hotness, so I decide to load PSA for the first time in years and see what current posts for injectors there might be. Nice to see your name on the latest posts Charles.

I still have a dual IPR block from HRT and a mess of custom HPO hoses I had made mocked up on a old front cover that used to have a terminator but got rid of that, but I'm still kicking around the remote dual IPR with a good single HPOP and some 300/??? injectors.

So, speaking of HRT, as I recall he was working on and possibly made some prototype injectors possibly doing some of what you are describing (been a while so maybe not). I don't know if he is still around or if you can drag him in to the conversation but I would think he could contribute relevant information at the very least. Maybe he's already here I haven't read the entire thread and gotta head out the door for materials, but I will be following up.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
That post ^^^ has me wondering if anyone else in this threat wishes they’d have left their first 7.3 on 160/whatever’s and just drove it?

I’m (hopefully) about to be driving almost the same set up I had before I started chasing big power. And I can’t wait…

psduser1

Reaction score
That post ^^^ has me wondering if anyone else in this threat wishes they’d have left their first 7.3 on 160/whatever’s and just drove it?

I’m (hopefully) about to be driving almost the same set up I had before I started chasing big power. And I can’t wait…
160/80-100 s for right around 250k on one truck and a couple hundred k on a few others, worked like a dream, lol. Course, not fast, but towing machines.
Good enough I'm putting two more together right now.😏

psduser1

Reaction score
Well, here I am looking out the window at the old 99 over coffee and thinking I should give the new 7.3 gasser truck a break and put the Stroke back on the road and wondering what injectors are the new hotness, so I decide to load PSA for the first time in years and see what current posts for injectors there might be. Nice to see your name on the latest posts Charles.

I still have a dual IPR block from HRT and a mess of custom HPO hoses I had made mocked up on a old front cover that used to have a terminator but got rid of that, but I'm still kicking around the remote dual IPR with a good single HPOP and some 300/??? injectors.

So, speaking of HRT, as I recall he was working on and possibly made some prototype injectors possibly doing some of what you are describing (been a while so maybe not). I don't know if he is still around or if you can drag him in to the conversation but I would think he could contribute relevant information at the very least. Maybe he's already here I haven't read the entire thread and gotta head out the door for materials, but I will be following up.
@hucorey is the guy you want to talk to, I guess. Apparently he's still playing with 7.3 injectors, looking to improve them.
Are you interested in parting with that ipr block?

Big Bore

Reaction score

Current injectors are Swamps 175/30's that ran very well with Curtis Frost BID (back in the day lol) tuning on a TS chip, But if I gotta yank em and replace I'm going to try something bigger. Curtis ran detuned 300/200's up here and towed at altitude with no issues at 500hp so I'm thinking that is the goal. I'm also gonna do whatever i can to keep that TS as I have zero use for more tunes than it can handle and they are super durable.

Latest posts

Members online