HID Interference Concerns.

Power Hungry

Reaction score
You may or may not have seen the recent post on this and other forums regarding issues with [cheap] HID headlamps causing interference with the communications between the PCM and a specific multi-position chip. What concerns me (and I'm sure I'm not alone on this) is that a vehicle stalling as the result of electrical interference from an external source is a significant safety problem. Instead of blaming the HID headlamps, which don't seem to have any adverse effects on any other electronics systems in the vehicle, maybe someone should actually take a closer look at why the issue seems to be isolated specifically to the chip in question.

As originally posted by the vendor in question:

Unlike most rotary knob style switchers our EX and Gauge style switcher is equipped with a microprocessor. A rotary knob style switch is designed for a pin to be grounded in order for the chip to determine what position to be in. The EX and Gauge style switcher from Moates.net design is an intelligent microprocessor that receives it power source and ground from the PCM. This allows for the seamless switching on the EX and Gauge style switcher. This is something the rotary knob cannot do. It is programmed to monitor button activity to determine which program the chip needs to be in. When its power source is interrupted it shut down. This is because of a a drop in its power source below 12volts. To help with the power draw you must hook in to the passenger side battery for your HID lights power source and make sure the HID lights are grounded with a ground wire or you may need to install additional grounds. Ferrite beads are in place on the Moates.net chips and switchers, but they may not be enough to protect against the amount of RF interference given off by aftermarket HID lights. Not all HID lights are made the same, if you experience a shut -down situation with the brand of HID lights you have installed you must add 2 small chokes of ferrite to each end of the Ex and Gauge style switcher cable. In most cases this has fixed the issue our chip has with HID lights. Disclaimer: The use of HID lights on Highway roads are illegal to use on various US state roads. If you chose to run Aftermarket HID lights please check with your local government for legal use in your State or Region. DP-Tuner shall not be held responsible to any personal injury or property damage of any nature due to a malfunction of your HID lights.

Let's break it down like a fraction and take a closer look at this to see if we can isolate some areas of concern...

Unlike most rotary knob style switchers our EX and Gauge style switcher is equipped with a microprocessor. A rotary knob style switch is designed for a pin to be grounded in order for the chip to determine what position to be in. The EX and Gauge style switcher from Moates.net design is an intelligent microprocessor that receives it power source and ground from the PCM. This allows for the seamless switching on the EX and Gauge style switcher. This is something the rotary knob cannot do. It is programmed to monitor button activity to determine which program the chip needs to be in.

The switching unit does contain a small micro-controller to handle switching and display functions. However, the output to the chip isn't really any different than that of a mechanical switch. There is a signal applied to any combination of 4 pins arranged in a binary format (4 pins = 16 positions) to achieve proper switching. Anti-bounce logic allows both styles of chips to change between positions seamlessly, with the only significant difference being that the digital switch style will delay changing output until the buttons have been in a quiescent state for about 500ms. The switching unit gets its power from the CHIP, not from the ECM directly. The chip itself gets its power from the J3 port on the ECM.

When its power source is interrupted it shut down. This is because of a a drop in its power source below 12volts.

I have concerns with this. First, both the chip and switch do NOT run on 12V, but rather 5V. The argument that the "power source" to the chip or switch is dropping below sufficient voltage is not feasible because if this were the case, the PCM itself would have shut down already. In fact, during cranking the PCM can often see voltage dip below 9V. Historical bench testing of the EEC type PCM shows that the PCM is actually stable and functional (even during a reprogramming session) all the way down to about 7.5V, with the J3 port (the chip port) maintaining a stable 5V output... which incidentally where the chip gets its power from.

To help with the power draw you must hook in to the passenger side battery for your HID lights power source and make sure the HID lights are grounded with a ground wire or you may need to install additional grounds.

Does anyone have any idea what the current draw is from a set of HID headlamps? I don't have the specs from any specific kit, but it's obviously not enough to shut the ECM down, so why should it affect a chip? The only improvement gained by moving the HID controller to the passenger side headlamp is to change the ground location as the driver's side headlamp assy. shares a ground with the ECM.

Ferrite beads are in place on the Moates.net chips and switchers, but they may not be enough to protect against the amount of RF interference given off by aftermarket HID lights. Not all HID lights are made the same, if you experience a shut -down situation with the brand of HID lights you have installed you must add 2 small chokes of ferrite to each end of the Ex and Gauge style switcher cable. In most cases this has fixed the issue our chip has with HID lights.

Now we get to the root of the problem. We are NOT dealing with a power issue, but more specifically an RFI issue. Standard practice for digital signal cables which operate in noisy environments is to use single-termination shielded signal cables. The use of unshielded, flat-ribbon cable is just begging to introduce RFI into a given system. Ferrite chokes are one way to help improve against RFI, but shielded cable would pretty much resolve the problem completely. The reason that HID headlamps cause a problem is not the current draw, and not always poor grounding (though it sometimes is), but the fact that the HID controller produces a high voltage, AC current to excite the lamps. This conversion from DC to AC creates a significant amount of feedback and any systems not properly shielded can suffer interference.

Disclaimer: The use of HID lights on Highway roads are illegal to use on various US state roads. If you chose to run Aftermarket HID lights please check with your local government for legal use in your State or Region. DP-Tuner shall not be held responsible to any personal injury or property damage of any nature due to a malfunction of your HID lights.

I was not aware that the HID police were monitoring the forums. You know, non-CARB certified chips are illegal for sale or use in California, but I don't see anyone offering that information.

What it comes down to... Instead of complaining about crappy HIDs, just spend an extra $2.00 and supply a better shielded cable.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Bill...while I appreciate your enthusiasm and attention to detail, please go find my post in that thread where a set of HIDs almost caused me to have an accident in my 6.0L...a vehicle WITHOUT the chip or cable that is the target of your post above.

I personally believe that the issues with HIDs and these trucks go beyond simply one brand of aftermarket chip and I personally believe it's irresponsible for anyone to make it sound like one won't have any problems with HIDs if they just avoid that particular product (as some in that post were doing). My 6.0L was a perfect example, my 2001 7.3L that had one of your old 4 position chips and an occasional "stutter" when the HIDs came on wasn't nearly as severe but also a good example. FWIW, if the tuner in my 6.0L truck is in any way related, a lot of SCT owners should be scared to death to install HIDs in their truck...but since I'm pretty sure the HIDs were not affecting the tuner that was tucked safely in the center console of the truck, the interference from the HIDs must also be strong enough to bother the factory Ford electronics as well...unless you've got a better explanation.

Groovy Chick

Reaction score
Bill...while I appreciate your enthusiasm and attention to detail, please go find my post in that thread where a set of HIDs almost caused me to have an accident in my 6.0L...a vehicle WITHOUT the chip or cable that is the target of your post above.

I personally believe that the issues with HIDs and these trucks go beyond simply one brand of aftermarket chip and I personally believe it's irresponsible for anyone to make it sound like one won't have any problems with HIDs if they just avoid that particular product (as some in that post were doing). My 6.0L was a perfect example, my 2001 7.3L that had one of your old 4 position chips and an occasional "stutter" when the HIDs came on wasn't nearly as severe but also a good example. FWIW, if the tuner in my 6.0L truck is in any way related, a lot of SCT owners should be scared to death to install HIDs in their truck...but since I'm pretty sure the HIDs were not affecting the tuner that was tucked safely in the center console of the truck, the interference from the HIDs must also be strong enough to bother the factory Ford electronics as well...unless you've got a better explanation.

As per Bill (he can't get to the computer):

It was our impression that the only vehicles affected were 7.3Ls using a particular chip. Based on your experience, it is possible that the noise concern caused by certain HID kits may be a much larger concern. Yours is the first NON-7.3L vehicle that has had this issue.

As for the old 4 position chip, having an occasional stutter can still be attributed to RF interference due to a poorly shielded cable. We haven't sold a 4 position chip since 2003 or so, and we are not aware of any of the 6 postion chips having this problem.

There are definitely concerns with specific HID setups with lower quality ballasts running higher frequencies to compensate for smaller tranformers. These higher frequencies seem to be directly linked to the interference. However, proper signal shielding can alleviate many of these problems.

One of the things that we've learned over the last fourteen years (when designing electronic components for automotive systems) is the importance of quality shielding to avoid problems like you described above.

Thank you so much for your post!

ToMang07

Reaction score

Not doubting you had issues, however, there seems to be a relatively high number of 7.3 running one specific type of tuner having that issue.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
For what it's worth, NONE of my HID kits were "low end". Frankly, I think it's the HIDs that need some serious shielding, not the truck they go in.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Not doubting you had issues, however, there seems to be a relatively high number of 7.3 running one specific type of tuner having that issue.

I would also point out that the only 100% common denominator is the HIDs. Tons of people have HIDs with a DP and no issues. I had HIDs with NO DP (not even a 7.3L) and had issues, some people have HIDs with a DP and have issues...every single case has HIDs.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
I would also point out that the only 100% common denominator is the HIDs. Tons of people have HIDs with a DP and no issues. I had HIDs with NO DP (not even a 7.3L) and had issues, some people have HIDs with a DP and have issues...every single case has HIDs.

FWIW I ran HID's when I had DP. No issues here.

Groovy Chick

Reaction score
From Bill again (I think he's going to post in here later in more detail):

To make it clear, we are not saying that every customer with HIDs will necessarily have problems... and we are not saying that the chip is the sole issue. There is no question that there are low quality HID kits for sale and that some problems may arise from installation configuration. However, it does cause one to wonder when it appears that only a specific type of chip (not including the old style TS 4 position mentioned in a post above) seems to have this problem.

Many customers have alleviated the interference problem by relocating the HID controller to the passenger side of the vehicle; others have added ferrite rings to the switch cable... all of which lead back to an RFI concern.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score

I have a Dp-Tuner with no issues. I've had several different chips, tuners, flux capacitors, and yankee doodlers with no issues while running HID's....

Im gonna go out on a limb here and say that this is more aimed at a witch hunt than it is anything productive. This is the same thing repeated *yearly* by the same group of people who always have some ax to grind with Jody. I don't get it. If you think RF shielding needs to be addressed, theeeeeeeen come up with your solution and market it. If you can only offer loose lips.... well then, maybe considering a change of course will be your best bet :)

ToMang07

Reaction score
I have a Dp-Tuner with no issues. I've had several different chips, tuners, flux capacitors, and yankee doodlers with no issues while running HID's....

Im gonna go out on a limb here and say that this is more aimed at a witch hunt than it is anything productive. This is the same thing repeated *yearly* by the same group of people who always have some ax to grind with Jody. I don't get it. If you think RF shielding needs to be addressed, theeeeeeeen come up with your solution and market it. If you can only offer loose lips.... well then, maybe considering a change of course will be your best bet :)

Riiiight...... It's just a coincidence. :thumbup:

jkidd_39

Reaction score
I'll be installing 55w Digital HID's from RetroSolutions this weekend on my 02 7.3 w/ Jody's tunes... I'll update with results on mine..

I think it's a 50/50 deal here.. there are some torch holding folks looking to burn down that certain someone and then the other side of the coin is that certain someone get's defensive too fast and starts pointing fingers or spouting BS..

Could care less tho.. I am just ready for some HIDs!

jkidd_39

Reaction score
You'll love your Retro stuff. I know I do mine ...

Thanks! Had a taillight go out today so I got whipped out the credit card and snagged some LED tails and CREE back up lights..

Got a busy weekend.. 05 front end convo.. install BDP sump and rebuild oil cooler..

Groovy Chick

Reaction score

If this were a witch hunt, we could think of far more interesting things to discuss. In fact, I believe it is the company that YOU named above that recently brought us into a thread about this very subject. We chose to simply stay out of that one (posted on multiple forums, mind you) and instead, chose to post factual information about what is happening with HIDs. I would think that customers would like knowing how to solve the problem.

Carry on...

Tom S

Reaction score
Is it known that the HID issue is caused by RFI being picked up by the wire to the switch vs being feed through the trucks wiring?

Groovy Chick

Reaction score
Great question, Tom. Bill's posting elsewhere and will jump back on here in a minute. We were actually discussing this very thing while driving to dinner a bit ago!

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
Couple things to ponder...
Do the people with HID issues also have issues picking up radio stations?
Another thing that someone mentioned years ago, could a high powered CB booster kill a truck running a sensitive tuner?

big_stroker

Reaction score
I had a DP F5 from 05 - 08 and when I bought it had a Flat cable and I keep having stall issues when I would key my mic on my CB Radio... In late 05 or 06 they then sent me a round shielded cable. After the install of that I never had another stall issue but my radio wouldn't work worth a crap.

I now use the same radio and CB with a TS style chip and have never had any issue in the last 4 years.

Never have had HID's but I think its a radio frequency thing causing the issue.

Latest posts

Members online