Hid Projectors done right

jimbojones

Reaction score
Long time lurker. First time poster. Just wanted to showoff my 2006 King Ranch that I had just recently converted the headlights the a FXR projector setup with Denso ballasts and Philips extreme vision bulbs. I bought the Stage 4 kit from theretrofitsource.com and here is how it turned out. I have a full writeup on a different forum that gives step by step instructions to so this. What do you guys think?

This is stock output
e1f1ce6dd8652bb03782f8aa48b8a28b.jpg

This is after the retrofit
e04759e0280d4323ae7d74e9d0bcd86f.jpg

I had to peel apart the headlights and install the projectors
7abc82623d4b2d623ecbfd2821988799.jpg

Then I had to aim them
d9f40aea42969d5b1f84dca10a842628.jpg

And this is final mounting
a60ada9c5cc5bb81b2ff7bece8ae3eb9.jpg

c4e1b90220e2d7d5f7d259c4f1a94565.jpg

50669c3eb98c29d36087b98aad707882.jpg

d0c244c266eb82d94eb4ad3d3ad4cf13.jpg

If you have any questions just ask.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
I was looking at the FXR as well but I was wondering if the cost vs benefit would be better w/ the LED's??

One thing I think that puts the FXR ahead is w/ the Mirimoto you are getting OEM type ballast and bulbs IF I'm understanding it correctly.

Why did you go Denso? Does theretrofit sell that as an option? I really hate the quality of the SD lights and I like HID output but the light pattern is pretty broad.

OP, would you mind PM your parts list? I may want to do something like this w/ my bronco as well.

verifine

Reaction score
Cost vs Benefit will be tough for me to judge as I have never seen any led headlights in person. That being said I have about $550 into my first retrofit and only about $250 into my second retrofit. Next to tuning/deleting it has been the best money I have spent. Morimoto is an aftermarket ballast where as the Denso is an OEM ballast found on production cars. OEM ballasts fire up faster than aftermarkets like the morimotos. I have gone thru two sets of morimoto ballasts due too them corroding from all of the salt we use on the roads here in the winter.

jimbojones

Reaction score
Yea. The retrofit has Denso ballasts. It was a 10 dollar up charge over mishimoto. Is it OK to link my full writeup on here? I have it over on hidplanet.com
I have 540 bucks into this retro. I recommend doing oem stuff as it lasts alot longer then the aftermarket stuff.

jimbojones

Reaction score
Led lighting is not good in reflector based housings. You can retro led projectors but they are gonna cost a fortune because they are so new into the market. PNP kits drive me insane. I hate them and bash they're owners constantly because of how bad they are. I don't have any really good output shots yet but it's a thin blue line followed by daylight below it at night. My bulbs are also 5000k I chose to upgrade from the stock ones to the Philips extreme vision bulbs. If you buy them with the kit there is a 100 dollar off of the bulbs. Normally the high end bulbs cost 198.99 when I bought the kit, I got them for 100.99

powerlifter405

Reaction score
What corroded on the Mirimoto?

Wow...looks awesome. So much want. Can I ask why you have a winter front on in what appears to be Texas?

Diesels love heat. When I was in the Amarillo area I saw trucks w/ blankets all the time.

I don't I've ever seen them south of Austin but for short commute trucks or running empty I can't see why you wouldn't want to take advantage of it.

Jason

Reaction score
Oh i know they love heat. I'm in Waco, and don't see any...like..ever. Do see some big trucks with cardboard behind the grille for heat...but then again...those things, there will be NO HEAT if you can't get a fire lit.

jimbojones

Reaction score
Well im in east tennessee and it has been in the 30's in the morning. As far as how they are mounted. I used screws drilled through the housing to mount them. After temp mounting I secured them with screws.

verifine

Reaction score
What corroded on the Mirimoto?

Diesels love heat. When I was in the Amarillo area I saw trucks w/ blankets all the time.

I don't I've ever seen them south of Austin but for short commute trucks or running empty I can't see why you wouldn't want to take advantage of it.

The whole backside of the ballast corroded away after two years of use. Couldnt figure out why my one headlight would go out sometimes then took the ballast out and it was done.

Latest posts

Members online