HID's messing with ecm?

psdguy95

Reaction score
Every time I turn my lights on my abs light comes on and the truck seems to defuel for about 3 seconds. It only does it when I first turn the lights on. Once they are warmed up the issue goes away. Could they just be pulling to much amps on start up to cause this? They are hids from dddem tuning.

da94broncodude

Reaction score
my buddies 01 does the same thing, changed to a "more expensive kit" and it still does it, and will even sometimes shut the truck off?

psdguy95

Reaction score
It doesn't shut the truck off. And yes I do have a dp tuner. These hids are supposed to be digital so I would think it wouldn't cause an issue.

BlueScab

Reaction score
My speedometer will die then come right back to life. A friends truck has kind of a strange hiccup when he turns his on. Both have the slim ballast hids.

My other truck with the same brand hids but regular ballasts has never given me any trouble. Maybe the slim ones aren't insulated well enough for these trucks?

psdguy95

Reaction score
My speedo will do the same if I'm driving. It makes me want to put the old bulbs back in. I didnt even see an option for different ballasts. Should I be worried about this or just deal with it? I don't need to kill me ecm over lights.

BlueScab

Reaction score
I had to pay extra for the slim ballast when I ordered mine. Otherwise it would have been the regular ballast.

I have no idea if it can kill an ecm or not.

SeeYa

Reaction score
pretty sure its an issue with the dp tuner chip frequency being interupted by the initial fire of the HID ballasts.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99...-question-dp-tuner-owners-hid-headlights.html

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1055859-dp-tuner-and-hids.html

Yes we are blamed for the RFI being fault of the chip. Many other chipsets have had issues preforming and there have been non chipped trucks have issues as well. Searching the web outside the diesel community will show this is common with HID lights.

That said, all chips even new ones out have issues with the "draw" effect when the HIDs are turned on. We even had issue with "draw" issue with HID's not allowing our Yamaha Rhino to start, it turned out to be a bad ballasts.

Using an oscilloscope we tested the CPS while turning on HID lights. Wigged the CPS out so bad the truck stalled.

punkrockford

Reaction score
My HID's didn't work right either. right one kept dying. first the ballast went out and when i replaced the ballast it blew the right headlight fuse. Took them out and bought LED headlights. similar to HID's in the way they are installed but instead of an hid bulb its a dual led bulb. they work great. Best part they were not much more then a good quality HID.

psdguy95

Reaction score
My HID's didn't work right either. right one kept dying. first the ballast went out and when i replaced the ballast it blew the right headlight fuse. Took them out and bought LED headlights. similar to HID's in the way they are installed but instead of an hid bulb its a dual led bulb. they work great. Best part they were not much more then a good quality HID.

I'm having the same problem. Right fog won't always turn on right away. And it blew the fuse a couple times. Where did you get the led lights from?

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
Are you guys all running stock wiring into your HID? Try and use a relay setup and it may skip the factory wiring/DP tuner issues as it doesn't draw power, only uses it to trigger a relay to pull straight from the battery. This is likely your issue. What bulbs are in your trucks? I use www.theretrofitsource.com harnesses

psdguy95

Reaction score
Are you guys all running stock wiring into your HID? Try and use a relay setup and it may skip the factory wiring/DP tuner issues as it doesn't draw power, only uses it to trigger a relay to pull straight from the battery. This is likely your issue. What bulbs are in your trucks? I use www.theretrofitsource.com harnesses

I am using the stock wireing. I have H13 in the headlights and whatever the factory fogs are for 02. 9157 i think.

Motomez

Reaction score
You can fix most of your problems with putting some Fariet Breads on the cable from the pcm. I had the same problem with my DP tuner but after installing 3 of them it fixed the problem for the most part. they are less than 10 bucks at radio shack. they cut down on the interference.

Latest posts

Members online