HID's out..LED's in

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
UPS can blow me. My bulbs were supposed to get delivered today, but it looks like they are still in Illinois :cursing:
I'll make sure to get a side by side comparison of low&high beams once they get here.

kjdavis

Reaction score
Mine too!! Something about a late trailer held it up for 2 days. Meanwhile something else I ordered passed through the same hub no problem, go figure.

PatriotHauling

Reaction score
Mark I got my lights today thanks. They look sweet. I did have a couple of problems though. On the connectors from the driver to the truck, there are 3 little alignment tabs. It seems the mold for the connectors was off a bit and I had to break one tab on each to get them to fit. They also wouldn't "click" in but its a snug enough fit they don't just fall out.

Also, and this might be because of my 05 conversion, the lights physically don't fit in the housing. They are too tall and hit on a metal plate behind the headlight.

I haven't decided what I want to do yet. I might just cut open the metal plate to allow room for the lights.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

kjdavis

Reaction score
Also, and this might be because of my 05 conversion, the lights physically don't fit in the housing. They are too tall and hit on a metal plate behind the headlight.

Mine had the same problem since I have the 99-04 header panel with the 05 lights. I just took a die grinder with a diamond bit and opened it up a bit.

Reaction score
My LEDs didn't work out as well as everyone else's seems to. I've been talking to Mark about it and it seems that they just aren't going to work right in an '03 housing. If anyone else puts them in an '03 housing with success, I'd be interested to see any differences between yours and mine. Mark has been very helpful with this, so major props to him and he has offered to buy them back from me. This post has absolutely nothing negative to say about Mark. He has handled this situation beautifully.

On to the problem. The low beams are AWESOME. No doubt about that. The LED low beams rock. The problem is that the high beams do absolutely nothing that would result in more light output farther down the road than the low beams. You cannot see any better on high beam than you can on low beam. The end result is that you can see farther down the road with halogens.

What I found was that the high beam LED (the bottom bulb) was only putting light right in front of the bumper and reflecting off the bottom of the housing and shining straight up in front of the truck. You can see up in the trees not even 5 ft in front of the truck while driving down the road. I think the bulb needs to be covered by the shroud in the housing more than it is. I put in some Sylvania ZXEs and can see way better than both the setups in the pics below. I wish I could make the LEDs work, but its just not happening. Without a high beam, I don't want them. I do 95% of my driving at night, so I want all the usable light I can get.

Old cheap halogens on low beam:

20140321_222028_zps59f0b137.jpg

Halogen high beam:

20140321_222037_zps824a1a14.jpg

LED low beam:

20140321_233601_zps0e8ad3e8.jpg

LED high beam:

20140321_233621_zps33d9c07a.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

Last edited:

Jgon08

Reaction score
From what I've seen on most of them the hid's look brighter to me. I'll stick
With then for now.

Reaction score
From what I've seen on most of them the hid's look brighter to me. I'll stick
With then for now.

The LEDs are almost as bright as my 6000k HIDs. These specific LEDs are 5000k. Obviously they will have less blue tint, but they are a very bright white light. I love the color of them. I just wish the high beams did something. LOL

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
Finally got mine in.
For those of you with 9007 style bulbs, you are going to have to modify the bulb retainer to clear the fan built into the end of the bulb.

As you can see here, there is no way you are getting the retaining right onto these new bulbs without modifying it, as the fan interferes.
0329141910_zpsb7c17205.jpg

0330141610_zps4f1849da.jpg

It took me a while to figure this out, but the ring on the LED bulbs is actually removable by twisting it to the left. You might have to use the retaining ring flipped upside down to get a good enough grip on it to twist.

0330141612_zps5e1f4999.jpg

Now, you have to trim the stock retaining ring. I used a cutoff wheel on a dremel tool and removed all the the material behind the ridge that holds the bulb in. Here is what I was left with.
0330141616_zpsd11bcd3d.jpg

With the clip removed from the bulb, drop your new retaining ring in, and then re-install the clip.
0330141616a_zps56faa835.jpg

0330141618_zps7d135b89.jpg

From here it's a matter of installing the bulbs as you would normally.
Hopefully this helps someone else out as the bulbs do not come with any form of instructions and it took me close to an hour to realize that the piece on the LED bulb was removable.

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
Ok I am sold. I would like headlights and fogs for a 2005 F350 and headlight for a 2008 harley fatboy if possible shipped to 82070.

Please and thank you!!

Latest posts

Members online