High egt issue

7.3powerstroker

Reaction score
I have been having an issue with my egt's when I am towing. I have a 1999 7.3 cclb it has swamps 175/146 injectors, a 38r, adrenaline hpop, fass fuel pump,Tymar intake,4in turbo back exhaust, and a dp tuner. So I bought the truck a few months ago and I have been on 2 trips to pismo with a 12,000lb toy hauler and have had alot of trouble with keeping my egt's below 1250. On flat ground with out a head wind I am fine but on flat ground with a good headwind it sticks right at 1250 and that's trying to go 55 mph it doesn't seem right on flat ground. Now when I hit the hills it gets hot real fast,I have to run in the stock tune and go about 25-35 to keep my egt's at 1250. I would like to be able to go a little faster up the hills but it just gets way to hot, does anyone have any ideas on how to cool my egt's down a bit? Any help would be appreciated

Magnum PD

Reaction score
For the exhaust, look for soot around the turbine inlet. The donut gaskets.
For the boost leaks, you need to pressurize the intercooler system. Look for loose clamps and missing o-rings at the turbo spyder.

KYpatriot

Reaction score
Yeah you definetely have some exhaust leaks or boost leaks or both. Look for soot around the exhaust manifolds, the uppipe connections, and at the y collector. Test for boost leaks, and consider replacing the original boots if they have never been replaced they are due.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
I agree with checking for boost and drive pressure leaks. What kind of boost are you seeing?

Also, what tune are you towing in?

7.3powerstroker

Reaction score
I don't recall what boost but I couldn't keep up any speed going up any incline. I am towing in the stock tune otherwise the egt's shoot way up with my 40hp tow tune.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
I don't recall what boost but I couldn't keep up any speed going up any incline. I am towing in the stock tune otherwise the egt's shoot way up with my 40hp tow tune.

Okay. You need to figure out what boost is doing. It is very likely that your issue is related to that.

7.3powerstroker

Reaction score
Okay I will check it out. I can hit about 32 psi unloaded. All the boots were replaced a few thousand miles ago and the intercooler was replaced with a banks. Where is the most common place a leak would be?

rusty1161

Reaction score
At the mileage and age of these are getting to, anywhere along the path of boost is suspect. I would closely check the intake plenums and where they seal to the cylinder heads, also the connection from the turbo to the intake wye and your hose to your map/boost sensor.

Rusty

Arisley

Reaction score
At the mileage and age of these are getting to, anywhere along the path of boost is suspect. I would closely check the intake plenums and where they seal to the cylinder heads, also the connection from the turbo to the intake wye and your hose to your map/boost sensor.

Rusty

1. he said he replaced boots.
2. This is a Superduty, the turbo goes to the intercooler not the intake Y.
3. Hose to the boost sensor is a good place to start,

If it was me, the first place I would chack is all the boot connections like Rusty said, just because they are new, does not mean you don't have a leaky clamp. (sorry Rusty, you were sorta right there)
Next place I would look is up, pipe connections. If there is a leak, there will be soot. Remember, each up pipe has two connections.

After that, I would pressure test the the intake system. Lots of posts on here on how to built a leak detector.

rusty1161

Reaction score
1. he said he replaced boots.
2. This is a Superduty, the turbo goes to the intercooler not the intake Y.
3. Hose to the boost sensor is a good place to start,

If it was me, the first place I would chack is all the boot connections like Rusty said, just because they are new, does not mean you don't have a leaky clamp. (sorry Rusty, you were sorta right there)
Next place I would look is up, pipe connections. If there is a leak, there will be soot. Remember, each up pipe has two connections.

After that, I would pressure test the the intake system. Lots of posts on here on how to built a leak detector.

Doesn't the turbo/wye connection have an o-ring on the SD's too?

Rusty

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 66

Arisley

Reaction score
Yes you are correct, there is an o-ring in there that gets forgot. My apology, me with my T4I setup, forgets the stock setup some times. I closed my eyes and saw my setup vs, a OBS setup and came to the wrong conclusion.

My sincere apology.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Okay I will check it out. I can hit about 32 psi unloaded. All the boots were replaced a few thousand miles ago and the intercooler was replaced with a banks. Where is the most common place a leak would be?

What kind of boost are you seeing when your EGT's are high? Is there a lot of smoke?

Also, you mentioned in your original post that you have to go 25-35mph in the stock tune to stay at 1250* while going up hills when loaded down. That is really high EGT for a stock tune. Definitely have a boost or ICP issue.

Last edited:

7.3powerstroker

Reaction score
I don't remember exactly what the boost was. No there is no smoke. Yea it seems really odd to me, sometimes it will go over 1250* on flat ground when it is really windy. How would I check to see if it's a ICP issue?

Dan V

Reaction score
Don't to to diagnose the ICP until you rule out boost leaks. Start with the most obvious first.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
I don't remember exactly what the boost was. No there is no smoke. Yea it seems really odd to me, sometimes it will go over 1250* on flat ground when it is really windy. How would I check to see if it's a ICP issue?

What are your EGT's at idle when the truck is up to temp? I wonder if your gauge is accurate.

Don't to to diagnose the ICP until you rule out boost leaks. Start with the most obvious first.

Correct. Boost issues are much more common when it comes to EGT.

7.3powerstroker

Reaction score
I went for a drive 20 min drive today and let it idle for a few min and it dropped to 310*. Does that seem about right?

Latest posts

Members online