High Idle Switch/mod

03 tx pwr stroke

Reaction score
I installed a high idle switch on my 03 6.0 today. Only took 15 mins or so. Easy job. I used a 3 prong lighted switch.

chappy

Reaction score
This might sound dumb but why do people do the high idle mod when the truck high idles on its own in cold temps if the engine temps are low?

Cobra 19 & 54

Reaction score
the one I can't figure out is the battery tender high idle. I read a post once where it's wired differently and when a load is put on the batteries, it kicks into the high idle at 2000 RPM.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
the one I can't figure out is the battery tender high idle. I read a post once where it's wired differently and when a load is put on the batteries, it kicks into the high idle at 2000 RPM.

Pretty much, the way I understood it was that it idles up the truck when it sees a drop in battery voltage, and the idle rpm corresponds with what's needed to maintain the battery charge.

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Mine goes to 1200 I thought thats why it was called tach1200 lol The 2k idle is for the ambulances and such when they required more voltage. try dropping a battery I think it will do it.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Here's a pretty good write up that includes the differences between the 1200 rpm high idle, and the battery charge protect high idle.

6.0 High Idle Mod

This is a piece from the link describing the differences between the 1200 rpm high idle and the battery charge protect high idle.

SEIC or BCP wire?

You can hook the switch to either of these wires to achieve high idle. However, they each have slightly different behaviors. If you're doing this mod to help keep the AC cold or the heater hot, or keep the revs up when jumpstarting somebody, then you probably want to use the BCP (Battery Charge Protect) wire. If you're doing this mod to use the PTO (Power Take-Off on your tranny), then you probably want to use the SEIC (Stationary Elevated Idle Control) wire.

If you want to hook up to the BCP wire, find the purple wire with the light green stripe in the bundle just near the top of the emergency brake pedal. Note: don't be fooled into using the light green wire the the purple stripe. That's the output wire for a BCP indicator lamp.

If you want to hook up to the PTO wire, find the solid orange wire in that same bundle (near the e-brake).

Differences in behavior:

BCP
- will automatically vary RPMS from 1200 up to 2400 to maintain battery charge
- does not lock the torque converter
- has an additional wire that is an output that can be used to turn on an indicator lamp to show that BCP is active. I.e. if you want to install an LED in your dash to tell you BCP is on. Since the upfitter switch has a light on the end of this, I don't see much point in this (if you're using a factory upfitter switch).

SEIC
- does not automatically vary the RPMs. Sets idle at 1200 (unless you take advantage of the additional control wire).
- has an additional control wire that you can hook a resistor to to vary the RPMs. You could install a variable potentiometer (i.e. a knob on your dash) to let you dial in whatever RPMs you want, when SEIC is active - from 1200 to 2400 (I think that's the max).
- locks the torque converter.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.