High oil temps after new Ford oil cooler install and EGR DELETE

mattroberts

Reaction score
Powerstroke team,
My '03 6.0l F250 was running @ 10 -15 degrees difference between ECT and EOT before I took it to the shop. Just got the truck back after the so called Powerstroke mechanic finished it, twice. He put a Dorman oil cooler in it after I told him I wanted the Ford OEM. "After" he installed the dorman cooler, he then flushed it by only draining the radiator & adding 2-gallons of Ford gold...that's what he called a flush on a Powerstroke! He also did an EGR delete by tig welding the ends shut, replaced the thermostat & installed a new Banks Technicooler & coolant filter...The Turbo was also cleaned... So I took it back, had an argument & he said he'd fix it. NOW ...a new Ford OEM oil cooler is in, "supposedly" a proper flush by draining both sides of the block, radiator,(again) as I had originally directed & provided videos. I have the receipts for 6-gallons of Ford Gold & 2-quarts of VC-9.....plus some distilled water. Now a 17* delta!!!. Anyone know what the problem could be? ECT steady @ 194* & EOT @ *217.
Thanks!
Matt Roberts

powerlifter405

Reaction score
i'm no 6.0 guru but I've read about doing flushes then putting a new cooler on and the new cooler getting plugged.

IF i'm understanding the 6.0 logic correctly, you flush w/ the "current/installed" oil cooler then change to a new one slightly later so the new one doesn't get clogged, by letting the old one be the guinea pig. Like I said IF i'm understanding the oil cooler/coolant flush thing.

mattroberts

Reaction score
Thanks PowerLifter405
Yes...that's what you're supposed to do but the mechanic didn't when he put the Dorman cooler in. He flushed after it was installed and it plugged up. When I made him put the new Ford oil cooler inherit flushed before it was installed....so it should be fine but its not EOT is warmer now than before I even started repairs. I'm at a loss...Dang jake-leg mechanic won't even return my calls so that makes me suspect that this is his fault.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Yes more than likely another plugged cooler. If he's not willing to year it apart again, install a coolant filter, run it several thousand miles, flush it, and do the job yourself.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Just read you have a coolant filter, take it off and cut it open, see if there's anything in there. It helps to out a magnet on the bottom of the filter to catch all the casting

mattroberts

Reaction score
Thanks CTZ DEEZEL
I did have him our on a nice Sinister Diesel coolant filter so ill run it a bit. Trouble is I use my truck to only pull my horse trailer Horses and gear...around #12000 and a bass boat. With the truck like it is I really can't use it???But Ill never use this mechanic again. Once I get some answers from folks and another couple of PS mechanics and determine it is a plugged cooler Ill ask fir my money back or take him to court.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Maybe toss on a delta line kit from absolute performance to band aid the issue

suprdzlduty

Reaction score
I understand the whole flushing phenomenon that is so "the thing to do" in the 6.0 world, but if you step back and search on here and actually read, 9 out of 10 times it causes more problems then it cures. Is the purpose of using vc9 or whatever other caustic flushing agent you choose to clean with, you gonna eat your food off the inside of your engine block?? I know I'm not. What if you kept it simple? Install coolant filter, drive truck. Monitor deltas. If needed, do the usual...oil cooler, egr delete, new coolant, ford gold would not be my choice, but whatever floats your boat. You may save yourself a whole a lot of headaches. In fact I could guarantee it. Some may not agree, but experience speaks truth.

Mdub707

Reaction score
My original oil cooler was still in spec at 110k miles or so. ECT would sky rocket if I hammered on it, but that was because of the blown headgaskets. I did the Restore + flush on mine anyway.... it looked pretty damn clean coming out of there honestly. Put a new OEM cooler on, new radiator, new thermostat and new alliant water pump (metal impeller). My delta's are always 3-7* apart. I have touched upwards of 12-15* delta's when towing 7k lbs on some large hills but it always stabilizes back pretty quickly. It's doing it's job.

Oh, and I put Ford Gold back in it when I did the new oil cooler as well. Just to say I did. Had a dieselsite coolant filter on there since about 75k miles.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.