higher EGTs and lower max boost with MTW Stage I

TexasA&M

Reaction score
Howdy everyone -

A couple of months ago, I replaced my stock turbo with a MTW Stage I. The two main selling points for me were faster spooling, and lower EGTs.

The performance of this turbo is hands down better than the stock unit. The trouble I am having, however, has to do with higher EGTs and a lower max boost than I was seeing before. The EGTs aren't unbearable at all, but they run ~100° hotter than with the stock unit. I am also only able to see a max of 24psi, as opposed to the 28psi I was seeing before. The only thing I change was the turbo, and the CAC boots (Riff Raff). I am running the same tunes as I was before (most other people running this turbo have not changed tunes and are not seeing the adverse effects that I am).

Everyone I have asked says that it is probably an exhaust or boost leak. I have looked all over for leaks... I can't find any soot on the exhaust side (nor feel any leaks with the motor running), nor do I hear any strange noises while driving. All of my boots are new and tight.

I have removed and cleaned out the EBP sensor, and my VGT actuator appears to be working right based on the readings from my insight.

What do you guys think? What else should I check? How else can I check for leaks? I don't want to just throw parts at this thing hoping that each will fix it...

TexasA&M

Reaction score
I should have mentioned that I did indeed get a new tune after installing the turbo, but it didn't make any difference. I got a tune from Tony Wildman, and the truck drives totally different on this tune (I like it a lot), but the EGTs and boost still have the same issues, regardless of what tune I run, or if I am running empty or towing heavy.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Boost isn't that big of a deal if it dropped a few psi as long as air volume has increased. Boost does not always equal power. But tuning can play a big role in the attributes of your trucks behavior. I have never tried Tony's tuning so I can speak for it but I have tried Matts tuning and I can tell you he has it down pat. Might want to give him a try and see if there is an improvement.

TexasA&M

Reaction score
I talked with Matt a while back and he said there shouldn't be any adjustments needed for the new turbo, and that I should look for leaks. I'm ok with the boost number coming down a bit if that's what it is, but I find it strange that others with this turbo can still boost up to previous levels (and some higher) with the same tune.

My biggest trouble is with the EGTs... 100° above what it was really isn't all that bad, and I'm still within acceptable limits by a great deal, but every other person I've talked to with this turbo is reporting lower EGTs by about 200°. This was also one of the main reasons I went with this turbo.

I'm going to keep working on the tunes and see if I can find one that 'solves' my problem, but I just want to make sure I'm not using the tune to mask some mechanical issue.

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
As always there is a give and take with performance mods. It could be just your truck runs hot....hope it works out for you.

windrunner408

Reaction score
You know if you can't get it worked out with tuning, you send the turbo back to Adrian and he'll go through it all to make sure it isn't anything with the turbo. Just saying. I hope you are able to get er figured out.

1fastTRX

Reaction score
The first reply to your post is from a tuner (Matt @ Gearhead) who's very well versed with the 6.0l. My buddy can't talk about him without getting wood. I say give him a shot... he knows your situation already. Once I can recoup from christmas spending Matt is getting my money. I've already been emailing him about my situation and it sounds like he can get me squared away. I've got tunes from 3 different tuners so far... what's one more. Lol. Are your egt's higher cruising or at WOT?

TexasA&M

Reaction score
The first reply to your post is from a tuner (Matt @ Gearhead) who's very well versed with the 6.0l... ...Are your egt's higher cruising or at WOT?

EGTs higher at cruise.

I have been running Matt's SRL and tow tune before and after the turbo. I talked to Matt about this issue a couple of months ago, and he told me that my tunes shouldn't need to be updated, and that I probably had a leak.

Also, my EGTs are higher and boost is lower when running a trans only tune as well as performance and tow tunes. This leads me to believe that it is not the tunes, but I'm really just guessing. Diagnoses has never been my strong suit...

I'm hoping that I don't have to send the turbo back... I think it's more likely that there is a small leak somewhere due to the installation, but anything is possible.

Last edited:

kdogg85

Reaction score
One of my friends has the stage 1 and in stock power is done run a tad hotter cruising but his is in od by 45 mph and it lugs itself up in speed better than the stocker or the pmax did. He put the srl back in and it runs around 650 at 70 mph. He never updated his tune and its 2 yrs old and works fine.

For some reason, this charger does seem to like a tad higher rpm than the stocker as far as temps go, but it does come up on boost about 200 less rpms
than the stocker.

Latest posts

Members online