Higher mileage motor

samoht517

Reaction score
Im looking a getting a 97 F250 California truck that has 296k but seems to run better and be leak free compared to my current truck that only has 216k. The PO did a regulated return fuel system, adrenaline hpop, and a hpop filter all from dieselsite. It has new glow plugs and switched to one plug valve cover harnesses. Still has factory exhaust and intake and no chip. Also both axles were gone through and the trans got a purple paint job after getting a torque converter and billet input. Not ideal but my transmission is shot and i cant swing the cost of a rebuild.

So how many miles can these motors average and when the start to go what are the common killers. Also coming up on 300k will I be safe putting a chip and water meth on it.

My current truck will be traded for this, after some cosmetic parts are swapped between trucks, and then mine will be getting destroked and i plan on keeping the motor to have as a spare.

97powerstroke

Reaction score
I wouldn't be afraid to do that especially if your keeping your motor for a spare. If the oil was changed regularly should be in good shape. When I had my motor out and a part at 165,000 the cylinder walls looked good like they were just honed. Just go for it!

dzldoctor

Reaction score
I bought my last truck with 255,000 on it well cared for. Thats when I started playing with diesel. Chipped and such till 330,000 when I parted it for my new truck project. Engine leaked a bit of oil otherwise excellent runner. I would not be concerned at all if it sounds as good as you state, and was cared for well.

Latest posts

Members online