Higher Trans temps.

jwlandry

Reaction score
Curious if anyone else's truck does this.

Truck is a 2012 with 103,000 miles on it. Mods are in signature. Trans fluid was drained and new filter installed at 95,000. Fluid wasn't burnt and nothing in the pan. My Trans temps will get up to 230. It doesn't matter if the truck is with or without a trailer. They climb very slowly to 230 and level out. I thought the fluid was done so that's why the change at 95,000. Now the kicker is 4 days ago I was on the interstate cruise set at 70, 24' stock trailer in tow, Trans temps at 228. I watch it pretty close when towing since I feel that it runs very warm. I glance at the minimax, temp is 225, 220, 216, 210 steady coming down. They bottomed out at 197 and came back up to 204 for the remaining hr of the trip. The fuel press also came down from 22 to 19 when the temps dropped.

I'm speculating that secondary coolant thermostats are hanging up but I'm not 100% sure. Nothing else I know of can control temps that fast in a truck but I may be wrong. I'm all ears.

sootie

Reaction score
or the secondary coolant system is low on fluid since the egr deeleet

Notneb

Reaction score
It's not getting coolant somehow, can confirm 230 degree's means no coolant is getting to the trans. I would lean more towards a 'stat sticking or possible blockage.

OuchThatHurt

Reaction score
... sure you did this but take a flashlight and check valley of engine in front of turbo. The coolant line to turbo was leaking on mine. Only realized because my trans temp went up to 230. (My 2nd are responsible was also low because of it :lookaround:)

Latest posts

Members online