Highschool 6.0 build thread

swinky

Reaction score
Honestly the main reasons why I'm selling the welds are because 1. It's not really my style, I like welds just not these. 2. When I got it it was someone else's "dream build" not mine 3. I don't wanna have to polish them once a week they get dirty really fast in Hawaii. 4. They're only 20x12s and I wanted gloss black 22x14s. 5. I'm young and learning how to drive so if I ever did curb a rim I'd rather do it on a 962 than a hard to find weld wheel. Hope this makes sense, thanks for the feed back good or bad I appreciate it and please keep it coming always enjoy reading your guys opinions.
You bought a 6.0 bruhhh. If polishing wheels is a lot of work get back to us when you have to pull the ipr.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Akira

Reaction score
You bought a 6.0 bruhhh. If polishing wheels is a lot of work get back to us when you have to pull the ipr.

I know about the motor ****ting on me eventually, I have a scan gauge II and I order a coolant filter, gonna bullet proof my motor eventually. A shop does all the work. The only set of rims if polish every week would be American forces or specialty forged haha

swinky

Reaction score
I know about the motor ****ting on me eventually, I have a scan gauge II and I order a coolant filter, gonna bullet proof my motor eventually. A shop does all the work. The only set of rims if polish every week would be American forces or specialty forged haha
Welds are far superior to american forces.

slowcoupe

Reaction score
Gotta give him some slack as he's only 16. I'm sure most of us followed some sort of fad when we were his age.

First off welcome to the forums. Congrats on getting into a nice truck at such a young age. The 6.0 is a great motor if taken care of and you will learn alot working on it.

Don't buy someones bullet proof package. You can usually save some money piecing your own together with better parts. I would get rid of the EGR parts as soon as you can and replace the oil cooler with an OEM Ford one while in there.. Pretty straight forward even for someone just starting working on vehicles. Just following instructions removing and replacing a bunch of parts.

Install that scangauge and watch you oil and coolant temps to make sure they within range of each other.

Finally, for gods sake don't put 35s on a truck with a 10" lift. Swapping the wheels is perfectly okay. But if you are "skating" by putting tiny tires on that's not. 22" wheels with some 38/40s would look much better, will get you way more looks (Good looks, not ones that will get you ridiculed and laughed at on a Truck Rice page on IG, facebook or other social media), and you'll also have less chance curbing brand new wheels since you are still learning to drive.

Last edited:

nighthawk285

Reaction score
Finally, for gods sake don't put 35s on a truck with a 10" lift. Swapping the wheels is perfectly okay. But if you are "skating" by putting tiny tires on that's not. 22" wheels with some 38/40s would look much better, will get you way more looks (Good looks, not ones that will get you ridiculed and laughed at on a Truck Rice page on IG, facebook or other social media), and you'll also have less chance curbing brand new wheels since you are still learning to drive.

AND you'll have more rubber to help with flex and roll, otherwise those forces don't get absorbed by the tires and instead transfer higher up and make rollover risks higher.

Outlaw7317

Reaction score
Aloha my names Akira I'm 16yrs old(17 in June), I'm from and live on the island of Oahu in the state of Hawaii. I'm gonna start a thread on my '05 6.0 that I picked up. Keep in mind like the title says I'm still in Highschool but I'm also home schooled so I do work when it is possible. Before I got my 6.0 I was building a Tacoma but I found a great deal on what is my pretty much dream truck so my parents helped my out and I'm now selling my Tacoma so I can start paying off the 6.0. It currently has a 10'' fabtech lift with 20x12s and 37x13.5s it also came with sounds, tuner, and exhaust. Most of the parts the truck came with will be eventually switched out over time, I don't like diving someones else build LOL all in due time though :evil

Current list of parts/mods in no particular order That will get done(over time)
1. Black headlight housing
2. 6000K HIDs
3. VHT stock Tail lights
4. VHT clear 3rd brake light
5. VHT mirror lights
6. LED reverse lights
7. New double din(current one doesn't have AUX or blue tooth)
8. Horn blasters train horn
9. Horn blasters PA unit
10. Light bar in bumper
11. Front license plate ******
12. 22x14 gloss blck XD diesels
13. 35x12.5 trail grapplers
14. Color matched grill surround with black mesh
15. Paint stripped badges
16. New 10'' coils
17. Fox resi all the way around
18. Ceramic tint windows 20% and 70% over windshield
19. AMP drop down steps
20. Scan gauge II
21. Sinister coolant filter kit
22. Color matched chrome bumpers
23. Back up camera
24. Viper alarm
25. straight pipe dumped over axle
26. LED interior lights
27. Diff covers
28. Windshield banner
29. custom license plate
30. Strengthen the 6.0 motor with 808 diesels 'bullet proof bundle" then up the tune.

I picked it up April first 2016, when I told my friends and posted on social media everyone thought I was joking :hammer:

View attachment 43015

View attachment 43016

( I don't know how to make the pictures bigger, they are from my phone and email them to myself then download them to my computer. If someone could help me I'd really appreciate it :thumbup:)

I'm sorry but a bunch of cosmetic mods isn't a "build"

Jomax

Reaction score
Honestly the main reasons why I'm selling the welds are because 1. It's not really my style, I like welds just not these. 2. When I got it it was someone else's "dream build" not mine 3. I don't wanna have to polish them once a week they get dirty really fast in Hawaii. 4. They're only 20x12s and I wanted gloss black 22x14s. 5. I'm young and learning how to drive so if I ever did curb a rim I'd rather do it on a 962 than a hard to find weld wheel. Hope this makes sense, thanks for the feed back good or bad I appreciate it and please keep it coming always enjoy reading your guys opinions.

Learning how to drive in a truck where you can barley see a vehicle in front of you or in back of you isn't very wise. I'd lower it to a leveling kit... Learn the length and width of the truck, then go higher.

IMHO of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMart

Reaction score
Don't let all these guys get to you. Welcome to the site. Enjoy your truck and high school. Have fun!

I had a 66 mustang when I was in hs. Wasn't anything cheap about restoring and keeping a 30 year old car on the road on $4.25 an hr. But it made me happy. *** the haters that just want to be negative and talk sh!t like their life is perfect and they made all the right decisions growing up.

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
As much as I agree with you jmart, its also about passing on lessons learned. So that he can reflect on the comment and apply it if he wishes.

Akira

Reaction score
Gotta give him some slack as he's only 16. I'm sure most of us followed some sort of fad when we were his age.

First off welcome to the forums. Congrats on getting into a nice truck at such a young age. The 6.0 is a great motor if taken care of and you will learn alot working on it.

Don't buy someones bullet proof package. You can usually save some money piecing your own together with better parts. I would get rid of the EGR parts as soon as you can and replace the oil cooler with an OEM Ford one while in there.. Pretty straight forward even for someone just starting working on vehicles. Just following instructions removing and replacing a bunch of parts.

Install that scangauge and watch you oil and coolant temps to make sure they within range of each other.

Thanks you for your advice I trualy appreciate it, I'm gonna be saving up and getting an egr ****** hopefully soon along with a sinister diesel coolant filter. I already installed the scan gauge and monitor it religiously to make sure the temps are in good degrees. I'm gonna do a lot of research on piecing together a "bullet proof kit" as you said, my uncle has a 06 6.0 so I'm learning a lot from him as well. As for the small tires I know they're not meaty but it's a style I enjoy and makes me smile whenever I look at it, I'm really building it to put in car shows and go on truck cruises. I know I'm gonna be called "stupid" to have a diesel and not use it for what it's intended but it makes me happy that's all that really matters. Thank you again and I'm learning a lot from this forum, I appreciate the feedback good or bad.

Akira

Reaction score
I'm sorry but a bunch of cosmetic mods isn't a "build"

It is if its for SEMA.:rolleyes:

Haha I understand if it's not a "build"
To you but we're building our trucks for different purposes and there's nothing wrong with that. Btw a lot of things on that list has changed and I can't edit it lol there's more "performance" parts on that list now.

Akira

Reaction score
Learning how to drive in a truck where you can barley see a vehicle in front of you or in back of you isn't very wise. I'd lower it to a leveling kit... Learn the length and width of the truck, then go higher.

IMHO of course.

I completely understand and agree with you, I'm gonna be learing to drive mini vans and sedans first and slowly learing to drive the SuperDuty. Gonna drive it super early in the morning or really late at night when less cars around to get a feel then ease into more driving during regular daylight hours.

Akira

Reaction score
Don't let all these guys get to you. Welcome to the site. Enjoy your truck and high school. Have fun!

I had a 66 mustang when I was in hs. Wasn't anything cheap about restoring and keeping a 30 year old car on the road on $4.25 an hr. But it made me happy. *** the haters that just want to be negative and talk sh!t like their life is perfect and they made all the right decisions growing up.

As much as I agree with you jmart, its also about passing on lessons learned. So that he can reflect on the comment and apply it if he wishes.

Thank you Jmart I appreciate what you said and I wish could see that mustang you built, people hating doesn't really bother me because at the end of the day I'm slowly building and striving for my dream and it just makes me want to work that much harder.

McDaniel1991 I understand about learing lessons from other people and I try to listen to what people say because they've experienced it before but I'm not gonna let someone tell my I shouldn't do something to my truck because it doesn't please them. With that being said I'm not gonna do something out of hand like lope tune my truck with a stock engine.

Latest posts

Members online