Hollowing DPF?

ghohouston

Reaction score
Lmao. I took an air blower to a clogged dpf once for the hell of it. Needless to say, I will probably get lung cancer, and not from smoking

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
We used to call that the Mexican manual regen.

(The guys at the shop that came up with the concept were Mexican, from Mexico. So it's not meant to piss anyone off.)

Usually forcing air through the filter in reverse would blow enough crap out of it to allow the truck to regen itself once you put the filter back on.

At any rate I was just curious if anyone had any respiratory ailments after hollowing one out without the proper PPE.

Black_Pstroke

Reaction score
Is the respirator required due to the soot or is it something else in the dpf. Just curious I've never got anymore involved with a dpf than unbolting it from the exhaust. And it only had 100 miles on it.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Think about all the soot in it, that youre blowing out at once, yes it has to be harmfulx it would probably be a good idea to keep from breathing. And lol the "mexican regen" is exactly what I did to a guys 6.4, and it worked good. The dummy had a bullydog on a bone stock 6.4, that dpf was bad!

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
My concern was more the substrate and fiber that becomes airborne during the destruction. Especially if you're using an air hammer.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
i used a pressure washer.

stand it on end, blow through it, slowly working around on the inside.

it will blow water out the top, till it starts to clean out.

after, flip it over, and repeat the process.

it should be noted, that a "standard" washer from a carwash, might not work, or it might take a little longer. mine is a little more powerful. took me about 5 mins to get it clean.

water will keep everything from being airborne, for the reasons your considering a respirator.

after i did that to mine, it didnt go into regen, as i had it clean enough it didnt need to. it did regen again, couple weeks later, like normal. i didnt mess up any sensors during the process.

Diesel23

Reaction score
yeah , im a dumbass tried pulling my shirt up over my nose , never worked out , still kicking for now, dpf was a beach , trree trimmer awesome idea ,

Stroked777

Reaction score
I don't think the OP is talking about cleaning it, he's talking about hollowing it out so its a straight thru so it's still stock appearing, that's the sense I'm getting from the post

ghohouston

Reaction score
Whether blowing it out, or hollowing it, youre still exposed to all the soot, ash etc... which is kinda what we were getting at. Im sure it would work fine, and is a sneaky good idea like guys used to do with cats. And I agree, if op is worried, just wear a respiratory device

SVTDiesel

Reaction score
No, I used a hammer drill and a long concrete bit, it was hardly dusty. But, I would suggest that you take all safety precautions just in case.

NotStock

Reaction score
Although Im certain the soot isnt good for you, its nothing in comparison to whats in a dpf/cat. Yes, you should wear a respirator. The metals and such in them are very bad for you.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
I was going to say, getting a big hammer and beating it out would be a better way of going about it. or that and pressure washing it. Lung cancer is a made up myth.

SVTDiesel

Reaction score
Beating it out will take a period of time, and it would create more of a mess. I had almost nothing because it was a new DPF. I tried to hammer it out, but it sucked. I am telling you, make your life easier and use a drill with a long/hard enough bit. Literally only took about 10 minutes.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
I'm guessing somebody got a big ol' breath of dust/fiberglass/etc.

you'll be fine man

Originally, yes. I use a respirator for any of that kind of work now.

I was only curious because I've been working in a shop where there has been a lot of body work going on, and I've been experiencing the same breathing issues when I got the lung full of busted up filter.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
the worst thing in there is the ceramic wool packing... that's a definite irritant. I would recommend anybody attempting this for whatever reason soak the entire unit in water to keep airborne media to a minimum

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
Originally, yes. I use a respirator for any of that kind of work now.

I was only curious because I've been working in a shop where there has been a lot of body work going on, and I've been experiencing the same breathing issues when I got the lung full of busted up filter.

Body dust is one of the worst by far. Thats what led to my mother-inlaws demise from her owning a body shop for so long. She had smoked for damned near her whole life, but the doctors couldn't even tell from the dust damage. F that.

Latest posts

Members online