Holy Hell...Communication failure

Nic

Reaction score
There is so much junk in this thread lets see if I got this straight...

You were running canned sct tunes, did an egr w/ elbow delete and got a CEL code? (Y/N)

You then installed an IDP tune and the CEL went away? (Y/N)

You are having some communication codes? What codes are these? Did they cause a cel or did you just scan and happen to find these codes?

This all happened when It got out of the shop. Apparently, the H&S wouldnt load, had to send the programmer and PCM to H&S, they put it in one of their shop trucks, everything loaded up fine, they sent it back and it got put on the truck. Everytime after that, if I wanted it to crank, I had to clear a communication code on the H&S before it would start. Gave the H&S back to my buddy since I borrowed it to get the truck home, bought a LW, it loaded fine, ran fine, then went back in the shop for studs and rocker arms, then came out even worse than before. Turbos coming on and off, threw the CEL for throttle plate, then tried to go into regen on the way home. I pulled over, reloaded the tune and it was ok, got a custom tune ordered from IDP, loaded fan, ran like a bat outta hell. Let it sit over night and its like it lost the tune. Didnt run like I did when it was tuned. Acted like it was in stock tuning until it hit 4th and 5th and the converter locks and throws you back in the seat. I know when its about to mess up because the turbos kick off, then a couple minutes go by , they come back on and then it throws a CEL for communication loss and PCM contol bus A off.

My mechanic says he doesnt know what it is. Says its the only truck he has had that acts like it looses the tune when the cab comes off. He cant even read anything with IDS when it does this. Its giving me a headache. Its at Ford now for more diagnostics. A friend of mine that works with the master tech there says it will communicate fine when its in the stock file. Can read it with IDS and everything. Load the tune, it runs GREAT for a little while then looses its marbles yet again...Im truly at a loss.

Nic

Reaction score
SUCCESS! Thanks to Drunk on Diesel, I found the problem. He was kind enough to stop by and give an extra eye and opinion. The main harness connector in the driver side fender well wasnt all the way latched. Took it off, it was clean, re-seated it, she has been fine since. Successfully made her first official road trip to East Texas and back with zero issues. Even he will admit the truck was doing some crazy things LOL :blitzed:

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
yeah, it was acting really goofy... certainly not the first one I've seen doing wonky stuff after a cab removal

pretty pitiful of Ford to not try and re-seat those connectors. very common trouble spot after a cab lift

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.