homebrew Fuel system....

blk99

Reaction score
I already have a CHEAP source for the napa 4770 filter heads and filters but i would like to know the part numbers for the best water separator and post filter...??

also, i only have 160's with stock nozzles and thats as big as i ever plan to go... would a single stock pump be enough? or will the bigger filters be too much for the single pump?

I plan to buy a Regulated return but I am curious what else i need to plumb the underside of the truck including a better pickup in the tank....???

thanks

Arisley

Reaction score
Strictly Diesels 5/8 pickup line or a sump. and some 5/8 ID fuel hose. Use 5/8 from the tank to the motor, use the old supply line for a return line.
Re-plumb it on the inside of the tank to dump it to the back of the tank. Just need a 3/8 compression fitting and a piece of 3/8 brake line. And a cheap bender from Harbor Freight. You can get the filters from Dennis at Strictly Diesel also.

V-Ref

Reaction score
Strictly Diesels 5/8 pickup line or a sump. and some 5/8 ID fuel hose. Use 5/8 from the tank to the motor, use the old supply line for a return line.
Re-plumb it on the inside of the tank to dump it to the back of the tank. Just need a 3/8 compression fitting and a piece of 3/8 brake line. And a cheap bender from Harbor Freight. You can get the filters from Dennis at Strictly Diesel also.

:whs: is very good advice

A sump will provide positive filter head pressure and help any pump with performance and longevity. Additionally, if the pump should ever completely fail you'll at least have some fuel pressure to limp you somewhere.

bruce

Reaction score
for 160's i'd just do hutch mod and an frx. if you're positive you want to do a fuel bowl delete then I'd just get strictly's kit with regulated return

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
There is a reason those filter heads are cheap. The threads on them are incredibly inconsistent and you'll need to buy multiples in order to get one that fits and works.

mandkole

Reaction score
I had one of the cheap heads that had a constant leak due to not being machined square. Just ordered a new head, ball valve and another filter from Strictly.

blk99

Reaction score
thank you for the advise on the filter bases.

I have the riff raff FRX already... more than anything, i was thinkin bout better filtration then the factory fuel bowl....

will be getting a fuel pressure gauge shortly...

CSIPSD

Reaction score
The Napa Filter numbers are written on the cabinet in the shop, you were looking at them this weekend... LOL

I would just go with a pre pump filter and leave the factory bowl in place...

gman1

Reaction score
The Napa Filter numbers are written on the cabinet in the shop, you were looking at them this weekend... LOL

I would just go with a pre pump filter and leave the factory bowl in place...

What type of pre filter would you recommend?
Low micron (2 or 3)?
High micron (10+)?
Water separator?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
10-12 micron water filter... good enough that you will never need to change the bowl filter again (exaggerated) but not so much as to cause a restriction on the pump.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

gman1

Reaction score
10-12 micron water filter... good enough that you will never need to change the bowl filter again (exaggerated) but not so much as to cause a restriction on the pump.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Thanks. I was planning on doing a sump, pre filter, new OEM pump and leave the fuel bowl in place.

Arisley

Reaction score
That is a a good method. works an good for most trucks and leaves room for future expansion.

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

blk99

Reaction score
thats the next question i guess... sump or hutch mod?

I have kinda been out of the diesel world for a long while and the sump thing is new to me....

Latest posts

Members online