homemade gen 3 setup

JD3020

Reaction score
Anything ever come of this? I've had a couple IH res's and a gear for years, then last winter i bought a Haldex pump. Come to find out the center hole on the gear is considerably larger than the pump shaft so i threw it all off to the side. I need to get it up and going.

JD3020

Reaction score
Thats what i thought as well, which makes me wonder if there were different gears/pumps offered from IH. I'll have to see if i have a pic of it somewhere.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
The pump is 3/4" I think and gear was 1/2". If my memory serves me right.

DZL JIM

Reaction score
Can that be done by anybody or are special tools and skills needed to do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like anything else that depends on if you want it to last, or if you want to try and save a few pennies and rig it together.

Personally, I have had my machinist do it because it's cheaper in the end (not cheap to buy correct Broach for the keyway, and reamer for the shaft dia) and he can have it done before I can figure out how to set it up to get start.

B.A.D Performance

Reaction score
Yes have a machine shop modify your gear. Luckily im a machinist by trade and I did it my self. Machined it for a press fit. Broached for the larger key way and drilled and tapped for 1/8 in. Set screw. Then I had hard lines bent up at the hydraulic shop. Its amazing how simple it was to do and how cheap. I located all my parts in 3 days and got 400 bucks in the entire setup. That even includes a new resivoir gasket

Powerstroker7.3

Reaction score
I have seen some people say they have used rubber hydraulic hose instead metal lines. Do you
Think these would work as well and would they be cost effective cause you would need some high pressure line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DZL JIM

Reaction score
Yes have a machine shop modify your gear. Luckily im a machinist by trade and I did it my self. Machined it for a press fit. Broached for the larger key way and drilled and tapped for 1/8 in. Set screw. Then I had hard lines bent up at the hydraulic shop. Its amazing how simple it was to do and how cheap. I located all my parts in 3 days and got 400 bucks in the entire setup. That even includes a new resivoir gasket

Do you run a check valve?
Any idle issues or coming to idle from hard, high RPM pull?

Latest posts

Members online