Honest Reliability of 500hp+ 7.3 Trucks

TyCorr

Reaction score
True. Im a little naive when it comes to thinking tuners are able to.tell.something.is wrong, like.having.a sixth.sense. Thats assuming a lot on my part.

TARM

Reaction score
I've seen a couple situations where a competent tuner just could not make a particular truck run right, and I was convinced it was something wrong with the truck, which leads me to a theory I have, all this talk about not being able to write tunes to order without live tuning and having to tweak trucks with live tuning makes me wonder if a lot of this live tuning is compensating for a deficiency somewhere.

That is sort of my point. Think about it every truck is at differnt levels of wear. Many of these engines have 200K + miles. Things like where your compression level is. Cam wear. Valve seat wear. What degree your cam was installed at. Then add in injector differences and turbos, Hpop oil. Now after all those variables start adding in things that would be considered as mechanical disrepair. The idea as I see it for live tuning is to get your engine trans running at the best possible level it can for its condition and to bring to light any possible deficiencies in repairable items that may need it. I know

Beans has mentioned a number of times the various issues that show up mechanically with many of the trucks they bring into the dyno for tuning. They end up having to get those thing right first so the engine can be properly tuned to it max potential.

But I think there is more to it then variations solely from disrepair. You see some engines that just flat out do better with more SOI while others do better with far less. My guess is this may have to do with how or the degree the cam was installed at. The fact is when you get live tuned the tuner has the opportunity to tinker. Trying more of less of various setting finding what gets the best response. With a canned tune its one shot deal or you are waiting for another tune in the mail or possible email if you are able to do that etc... But it still does not allow the tuner the opportunity to hear and feel and see how the truck reacts to any changes. Bill @ PHP has remote kits he can send you so he can remote live tune your truck and be able to see all the data back. Its one reason of many why I think scanners like AE are mandatory. It allows you to give your tuner tangible data that he can use to adjust tunes rather that telling him the symptoms you think you feel and see.

Last edited:

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
This is why I went with my set up, 175/30s. No need for a fuel system, studs,springs, or push rods.

Just a van turbo and its fun and reliable for my needs.

Latest posts

Members online