Hot start problem

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Computers, sensors or regulators don't have anything to do with oil not getting to the HPO Rez. You have to pull the harmonic balancer to get to the lpop.

Pulling the block to replace the LPOP?????? That's a new one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If the IPR isn't powering up, the reservoir will just drain when you crank it (at least that's what my 94 did when the PCM wouldn't provide the ground for the IPR Power Circuit, P1283). I would check the LPOP with a mechanical gauge plumbed in the port down by the oil filter. Cheers!

1995f2507.3

Reaction score
On riffraffs website they have the melling m208 lpop. Would this be a good replacement? Truck is all stock but have plans for injectors if I keep the truck for a little while. Or should I just try and get a oem one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Does the truck start cold?

If hot start is your problem, check IPR (wiring/o-rings) and injector o-rings.

Prior to your hot start issue, did you notice an extended crank prior to the motor starting?

Gotta diagnosis your issue prior to throwing parts at it. Everyone wants to throw parts at their truck and not diagnosis. Get yourself a mechanical oil pressure gauge to rule out the LPOP. Also get yourself a 3000 psi hydraulic gauge to test the HPOP. Very easy things to do.

Billy T.
[email protected]

1995f2507.3

Reaction score
I have 0 psi coming from the hpop gauge. The truck doesn't even start cold anymore and yes I'd have to crank it for a while but I'd always carry a spare icp sensor and when I put it on it'd start almost immediately

JCart

Reaction score
Does the truck start cold?

If hot start is your problem, check IPR (wiring/o-rings) and injector o-rings.

Prior to your hot start issue, did you notice an extended crank prior to the motor starting?

Gotta diagnosis your issue prior to throwing parts at it. Everyone wants to throw parts at their truck and not diagnosis. Get yourself a mechanical oil pressure gauge to rule out the LPOP. Also get yourself a 3000 psi hydraulic gauge to test the HPOP. Very easy things to do.

Billy T.
[email protected]

^^^ what Billy said....

When cranking make sure the HPOP reservoir is full of oil, as it would appear it has drained, letting air potentially into the system. Charge your batteries to full capacity, fill the HPOP Reservoir through the top plug driver's side of the reservoir.

1995f2507.3

Reaction score
I put oil in the hpop res and she started right up no problem

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Just once? Once you shut it down and restart it, it will probably die because the hpop drained the Rez.

1995f2507.3

Reaction score
I shut it off then restarted it. It was a long crank to get it back started but it started 3 times after the first shut off.

1995f2507.3

Reaction score
I filled the hpop res. About 3/4 of the way as that's as much oil I had laying around and now checking it, it's sitting right at the top of the res.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
low pressure oil pump.. put a mechanical gauge in the port above oil filter and see how much pressure if any it has...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

1995f2507.3

Reaction score
It seems to be making oil pressure( on the dash) when cranking it'll move to the L, then fire up. I will put my mechanical gauge on it tomorrow and see what the pressures are like.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Or a major HPO leak.

Billy T.
[email protected]
that type of leak that would empty the hpop res would mean that there wasn't any lines or plugs or ipr in the hpop letting it bleed out completely and covery the motor.. he even said that at one point he cranked and cranked on it then inspected the res and it was empty..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

1995f2507.3

Reaction score
Could the lpop not be spinning fast enough to create enough pressure? My starter is pretty old.