how do i tell if EGR has been deleted?

Lancer

Reaction score
Ok i installed my first egr delete yesterday on my boss's truck (Absolute Kit http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14952, and it went very well but when i pulled the egr cooler and threw it to the floor i noticed that someone had already plugged it with freeze caps. The boss purchased this truck with 160,000 miles on it so not much history was known. My question is how would you determine if this had been done before tearing into it? Was this ever done by Stealerships or is it strictly an aftermarket fix? I would think this would be relevant info for anyone looking @ purchasing a 6.0 truck.

windrunner408

Reaction score
With a situation like you described, it is impossible to tell by simply looking at the truck unless the EGR valve is gone. The only other way would be if a new intake manifold was put on the truck and you pulled the elbow off and there was no soot in there. Other than that there is no way tell if an egr cooler has been plugged. Now if the EGR cooler has been removed, you could see that from opening the hood. Hope this helps.

alwil

Reaction score
With a situation like you described, it is impossible to tell by simply looking at the truck unless the EGR valve is gone. The only other way would be if a new intake manifold was put on the truck and you pulled the elbow off and there was no soot in there. Other than that there is no way tell if an egr cooler has been plugged. Now if the EGR cooler has been removed, you could see that from opening the hood. Hope this helps.

Unless its 05-07 I dont think it will set a cel with an egr delete......like windrunner said unless its a complete cooler delete you wont be able to tell visually.

Mikeh1725

Reaction score
Ok i installed my first egr delete yesterday on my boss's truck (Absolute Kit http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14952, and it went very well but when i pulled the egr cooler and threw it to the floor i noticed that someone had already plugged it with freeze caps. The boss purchased this truck with 160,000 miles on it so not much history was known. My question is how would you determine if this had been done before tearing into it? Was this ever done by Stealerships or is it strictly an aftermarket fix? I would think this would be relevant info for anyone looking @ purchasing a 6.0 truck.

Mind snapping some pics of the freeze plugs installed? I'm looking into doing this and saving a few bucks.

Thanks,

Mike

Power Hungry

Reaction score
You could actually unbolt the EGR and with the engine idling you could see (feel) if there is any exhaust coming through the ports into the intake manifold, but that's about it. In any event, you're better off without the EGR Cooler in there anyway so it's a win-win situation.

05-07 and Cali. models will set a CEL with blocked EGR. 03-04 will set a DTC, but no light. If the ECM has been tuned for the EGR delete, you'll have NO indications at all.

Lancer

Reaction score
You could actually unbolt the EGR and with the engine idling you could see (feel) if there is any exhaust coming through the ports into the intake manifold, but that's about it. In any event, you're better off without the EGR Cooler in there anyway so it's a win-win situation.

05-07 and Cali. models will set a CEL with blocked EGR. 03-04 will set a DTC, but no light. If the ECM has been tuned for the EGR delete, you'll have NO indications at all.

You are absolutely correct, i'm glad i got the cooler out and all water out of the manifold, Unbolting the EGR and running it is something i didn't think about, thanks!!!

Mind snapping some pics of the freeze plugs installed? I'm looking into doing this and saving a few bucks.

Thanks,

Mike
do you still need pics, i could grab some this evening?

Thanks for the help guys!!!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.