How do you wire 07 factory fog lights?

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
I have a e99 that did not come with fog lights from the factory. There is no plugs sitting behind the bumper either.

I'm going to be running 07 foglights with retro hids to complete my 07 conversion...

Id like to use the headlight switch as a switch is this possible?
How should I wire the lights? Should I splice into the head lights?

06f3506.0

Reaction score
You mite be able to just mount them and run wires from the fog lights to the parking lights switch or wire them into your park lights or head lights direct so when you kill power with your switch for your head lights it shuts off fog lights if that makes sense

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
You mite be able to just mount them and run wires from the fog lights to the parking lights switch or wire them into your park lights or head lights direct so when you kill power with your switch for your head lights it shuts off fog lights if that makes sense

That's what I was thinking...
Will it give enough volts?

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Hey if you could get a switch like the OEM fogs work then I would do that. That way you can pull the switch out to activate the fogs. Only if you want to have that ability though.

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
Hey if you could get a switch like the OEM fogs work then I would do that. That way you can pull the switch out to activate the fogs. Only if you want to have that ability though.

Well I don't think I have the wiring that goes to the factory switch.

I might have to run a relay. I guess ill tap into my parking lights first with a fusible link. But I'm already tapped into those for my mirror lights...

jwlandry

Reaction score
Hot wire from battery to fuse to toggle switch in cab to fogs. On when you want em on. Off when you want em off. Simple

09stroker

Reaction score
One way or another they are pulling power from the battery. Plus the alt. is charging it.

Betarocker

Reaction score
Wire them with a trigger from the parking light, through a toggle or rocker switch (100s of styles) into a relay. Power from the battery through a fuse to the relay, and then out to lamps.

Tonka350

Reaction score

this is exactly what I did on my 2008 clone. I had no foglights on my 2000 before I did the swap and wanted some. there are NO issues what-so-ever with voltage drops or anything and like said, it cuts them off automatically when you turn off the switch.

Chad

06f3506.0

Reaction score
this is exactly what I did on my 2008 clone. I had no foglights on my 2000 before I did the swap and wanted some. there are NO issues what-so-ever with voltage drops or anything and like said, it cuts them off automatically when you turn off the switch.

Chad

Glad someone thinks like me seems pretty simple!

florida 6.0

Reaction score
You can buy a headlight relay harness and use your parking light wire as the trigger . It pulls power directly from the battery .Painless sells them and they are real easy to hook up.

Betarocker

Reaction score
Don't tap directly to an existing circuit, unless it is only a trigger for a relay. Wires are sized according to current load, and exceeding the load will cause the wire to overheat and possibly ignite a flame. Hopefully the fuse trips before that happens but all too common is replacing with a higher current fuse which will cause a fire.

For simple conversion of how much current something draws, devide power (watts) by volts.

Wire size for current is as below
5A = 18AWG
10A = 16AWG
15A = 14AWG
20A = 12AWG
25A = 10AWG
30A = 8AWG
40A = 6AWG
For longer runs, use the next size larger wire size to lessen voltage drop.

Latest posts

Members online