how high is high enough?

2004Stroker6.0

Reaction score
Well to start this off its been a long time since I've been on. My question is my baby is sick her alternator crapped. I just put in a couple new red tops too. I wanting to go higher output for my alternator. How high should I go amps wise? I have an aftermarket in dash touchscreen 6", 3 pillar gauges, a sub and amp, 2 additional 6" hella's, and 7 chicken lights on top of all the factory fog lights and stuff. 140amps? 160? 200? Input please. Thanks Joe.

Worstenemy453

Reaction score
In reality, there isnt anything too high for it. I sell 200-250 amp alternators by Mechman. I can get you an excellent price on one if you are interested.

Zmann

Reaction score
DCpower sells some nice units also and they use the larger case on some to help with cooling

careatr

Reaction score
I've been running a dc power 250 for year and a half with 2 yellow tops, been treating me great...

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
You can bolt a 6.4 200a alternator in place of the stock 6.0 one, but you need to slice a little bit off the bottom of the case to clear the bolt that holds the heater supply tube on the intake.

I do know they aren't cheap though, but if you can find one at a recycler you might be laughin.

Zmann

Reaction score
but you need to slice a little bit off the bottom of the case to clear the bolt that holds the heater supply tube on the intake.

DCpower sends small spacers to solve that issue when they ship the large case retrofits

Yes can someone make sense of the case size thing? Something about case sizes and low end power I don't know what the hell I was reading about online.

the 3g style alternators used until 99 are just plain bigger the 6g supplied now are so compact that heat is an issue(rectifiers fail)
thats all there is to it bigger is better for cooling

DCpowere also among other things ships most with a smaller pulley to enhance Idle output

picture from alternator parts.com
DCP_0586.jpg

Last edited:

GO BIG OR GO HOME

Reaction score
I hate to highjack your thread but i have an alternator question also. Anyone tried putting the ambulance package alternator on a 7.3 super duty that had just a factory alternator? i looked into putting one on but the wiring harness plug is different and the ambulance alternator is HUGE! Any input would be appreciated

Latest posts

Members online