How hot is too hot?

BlueOvalDiesel

Reaction score
Last weekend I towed a couple jeep grand Cherokees on my 10 ton 20+5 pintle trailer. The trailer weighs 6500 and the jeeps are about 4500 a piece. My truck is an early 04 f-250 ccsb 7700 pounds 3.73 gears 305/55r20 bfg all terrains. I also had 5 people in the truck. So a total weight of about 24,000. On the highway my ect ran about 212 the whole time with eot about 10 degrees warmer the whole time. When I got into the hills on backroads my ect would climb to 220+. This seems unusually hot since in the same outside temp it normally runs 190-194 with eot about 5 degrees warmer when not pulling a trailer.
My truck has rcd 155/30's innovative tow tune for the injectors, atlas 40 ficm tune, stock exhaust straight piped, egr delete. I don't have a pyro yet.

Is this too hot and why? thanks

BlueOvalDiesel

Reaction score
I know it is but there is barely any difference between a 250 and a 350 unless its a dually so I don't see the issue. Handled fine. Most 350's have same gears.

Radioflyer

Reaction score
Let me rephrase, that's alot of weight for a srw light duty truck with 373 gears and 33" tires IMO. I would really suggest getting a EGT Probe on the truck and watch your temps closely if your hauling that kind of weight. Upgrade oil cooler to a air to air style and mia the factory oil cooler and upgrade the trans cooler...230* IIRC on the 6.0 is the danger zone for ECT and EOT.

Edit: Throw a coolant filter on there as well. All of it I have available if needed. :thumbsup:

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
If it didn't go into the safety setting that starts defueling the motor then it didn't get hot enough. Did the temps drop after coming off the hill?

BlueOvalDiesel

Reaction score
Yea it was 220+ going up the hills then it would drop. On the highway running 70 it would stick around 212. Seems awful hot to me. I got a cai ordered and would like to get a 4 or 5" exhaust. But I don't really think its an egt problem but then again I don't have a gauge which is also on the list. I was kinda wondering if it wasn't something else. There has to be more guys than me that tow 16000 on a similar setup. I don't tow that heavy very often, I just think it should stay cooler.

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
I have noticed the hotter tuning (even Atlas 40) will increase the EOT. It all makes sense to include running at 24k. IF your temps unloaded are within the community norms of 195-199 I'd say all is well with the setup.

Twan

Reaction score
Egt gauge ASAP, I wouldn't pull a trailer without one.
The 5" exhaust helped my cruising egts when pulling vs the 4" FYI

Your temps are normal, a snow plow clutch will keep them a little lower. In a few weeks I can let you know how the bullet proof fan setup works.

Oil de fuel is 250, i don't like to see mine over 240, water I keep under 230. If I'm really pulling I have seen 240 250 once. Didn't hit the defuel but got check gagues light.

My trany will get up to 220.

BlueOvalDiesel

Reaction score
Thanks. I was under that and my tranny stayed under 180. Never got check gauges or defuel but it did turn my ac off at about 220.

Twan

Reaction score
Do you have the heavy duty cooler?
Is your fan locked up at the time?

I've been wanting there coolor.

fordmansteven

Reaction score
yea I have the heavy duty cooler with the cold weather kit, not sure about the fan I don't think it is working the way it is supposed to. when I pull a mountain it doesn't seem to come on until temp is up around 230 oct.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Last weekend I towed a couple jeep grand Cherokees on my 10 ton 20+5 pintle trailer. The trailer weighs 6500 and the jeeps are about 4500 a piece. My truck is an early 04 f-250 ccsb 7700 pounds 3.73 gears 305/55r20 bfg all terrains. I also had 5 people in the truck. So a total weight of about 24,000. On the highway my ect ran about 212 the whole time with eot about 10 degrees warmer the whole time. When I got into the hills on backroads my ect would climb to 220+. This seems unusually hot since in the same outside temp it normally runs 190-194 with eot about 5 degrees warmer when not pulling a trailer.
My truck has rcd 155/30's innovative tow tune for the injectors, atlas 40 ficm tune, stock exhaust straight piped, egr delete. I don't have a pyro yet.

Is this too hot and why? thanks

Holy crap!!! You're towing, on bigger injectors, with a tune and a FICM tune, without and EGT gauge? Wow. Get the EGT gauge installed ASAP. You shouldn't tow tuned (especially with bigger injectors and FICM tuning) without one.

BTW, I tow around 14k a few times each summer, through the north GA mountains and my ECT runs 195-205* and EOT runs 200-215*.
Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online